Question for A-Level and GCSE students past and present

Watch
Medcalf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is it the exams that cause the exam stress?

Is it not colleges/the government which expect such high grades or is it something else completely.
Surf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's the consequences of obtaining poor results in exams that causes exam stress. If there were no consequences, there would be no stress.

There is no stress in reading a book - but if your dream job relied on you memorising the minute details and recalling phrases word-for-word in a time-pressured environment where your competition is extremely intelligent and well-honed, then you will be stressed to some degree. No two ways about it.

The stress for me was, first and foremost, individual aspirations (wanting to have a chance of getting into high-quality universities and fear of underachieving), parental expectations, and peer pressure (high-achieving siblings and friends). Frankly I couldn't have cared less about government or college expectations.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surf)
It's the consequences of obtaining poor results in exams that causes exam stress. If there were no consequences, there would be no stress.

There is no stress in reading a book - but if your dream job relied on you memorising the minute details and recalling phrases word-for-word in a time-pressured environment where your competition is extremely intelligent and well-honed, then you will be stressed to some degree. No two ways about it.

The stress for me was, first and foremost, individual aspirations (wanting to have a chance of getting into high-quality universities and fear of underachieving), parental expectations, and peer pressure (high-achieving siblings and friends). Frankly I couldn't have cared less about government or college expectations.
Yes exactly, we have had academic testing all through school, the difference (in particular with a-levels) is that not performing at the exact grade you want can mean being unable to do the career you want, having to move to a uni in a completely different area of the country, having to re-think life plans, social judgement, etc.
I also agree that I wasn't concerned about the government- just how the exams would affect my life plans and what I wanted to do next.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also to add, under those pressurized conditions, the amount of content to remember is very overwhelming, especially as it's harder to remember facts when stressed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (76)
14.26%
I'm not sure (22)
4.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (170)
31.89%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.06%
I'm not a current university student (254)
47.65%

Watched Threads