rape vs sexual assault

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
is it completely wrong to tell a victim of sexual assault who hadnt reached anywhere near puberty at the time “at least he didn’t rape you” or was this suppose to make me feel better

just want some opinions please. go anonymous if needed.
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think it definitely is wrong to say, especially to a child. Both are terrible things to go through.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
I think it definitely is wrong to say, especially to a child. Both are terrible things to go through.
i meant this happened nearly a decade ago but i was told this last week.
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Its completely wrong to say that to a young child or to an adult l hope it was not a police officer that spoke like that ?
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not very helpful, but it doesn't sound inherently malicious.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Its completely wrong to say that to a young child or to an adult l hope it was not a police officer that spoke like that ?
no just my mum. even better.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
no just my mum. even better.
OMG
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
quite a horrible thing to say tbh
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
is it completely wrong to tell a victim of sexual assault who hadnt reached anywhere near puberty at the time “at least he didn’t rape you” or was this suppose to make me feel better

they was most likely trying to make you feel better but it was an ill choice of words
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago

I agree. but I also feel like the person may just be trying to find a way to comfort you if they have never experienced it and don't know how things work. I feel this way because this is a mistake I would make.
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
good intentions but not a good choice of method or words, hope you're okay
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, it would probably make them feel as though their experience was being devalidated. This would be akin to breaching their trust.
Things like that are normally said by ignorant people opposed to malicious people.
Last edited by glassalice; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago

Not really enough context. The person who said it was ignorant, but might have had some strange idea they were trying to be sympathetic, when they were being tactless. Rather than dwell on it just move on.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not really enough context. The person who said it was ignorant, but might have had some strange idea they were trying to be sympathetic, when they were being tactless. Rather than dwell on it just move on.
my mum said it and her brother sexually assaulted me when i was 6. i feel like she wanted to make me feel better but still take his side kind of yk. but you’re right i should
Anonymous #1
I agree. but I also feel like the person may just be trying to find a way to comfort you if they have never experienced it and don't know how things work. I feel this way because this is a mistake I would make.
yeah you’re right. i feel like i would agree with that if i hadn’t gone through it. like eg being kidnapped but not killed yk? like there’s worse things that could’ve happened idk.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah you’re right. i feel like i would agree with that if i hadn’t gone through it. like eg being kidnapped but not killed yk? like there’s worse things that could’ve happened idk.
Still no context.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by glassalice)
No, it would probably make them feel as though their experience was being devalidated. This would be akin to breaching their trust.
Things like that are normally said by ignorant people opposed to malicious people.
that’s what i was thinking but couldn’t put into words.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Still no context.
what context is needed for this ?
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
what context is needed for this ?
What happened who said what when?
What you feel?
What you want?

It prevents people understanding fully what your situation is or what you want.
Last edited by 999tigger; 3 weeks ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
that’s what i was thinking but couldn’t put into words.
:jumphug:
I hope your doing a little better each day. Learning to with / moving on from these things is tough.
One day someone will devalidate your experience and it won't matter to you one bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.77%
I'm not sure (8)
2.87%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (99)
35.48%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (124)
44.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise