UCAS points for different qualifications

Watch
dangermau5e
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have 3 A-Levels and am also currently studying an Access to HE Diploma as I've been out of education for quite a few years now. Where universities don't state the entry requirements from the Access course, can the UCAS points gained from the Access course be added to the points gained from A-levels to meet the entry requirements based on the UCAS Tariff?

Thought I'd check if anyone on here knew before asking various universities for their stance.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dangermau5e)
I have 3 A-Levels and am also currently studying an Access to HE Diploma as I've been out of education for quite a few years now. Where universities don't state the entry requirements from the Access course, can the UCAS points gained from the Access course be added to the points gained from A-levels to meet the entry requirements based on the UCAS Tariff?

Thought I'd check if anyone on here knew before asking various universities for their stance.
Its normally the best 3 A levels or equivalent and no more. Access= equivalent to 3 A levels.

Most uni websites should have the access requirements on their website.
dangermau5e
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its normally the best 3 A levels or equivalent and no more. Access= equivalent to 3 A levels.

Most uni websites should have the access requirements on their website.
I wonder if those who got top A grades before A* was introduced get treated any differently seeing as the most UCAS points they could get from AAA is 144 whereas A*A*A* is worth 168. The highest you can get from an Access course is also 144.

I guess universities would take this into account...
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dangermau5e)
I wonder if those who got top A grades before A* was introduced get treated any differently seeing as the most UCAS points they could get from AAA is 144 whereas A*A*A* is worth 168. The highest you can get from an Access course is also 144.

I guess universities would take this into account...
Are you one of those people?
Have you asked them?
dangermau5e
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Are you one of those people?
Have you asked them?
certainly not me! Just curious I guess. Doubt anyone who got AAA before A* was introduced would have any issues getting into most places based on results alone. Maybe they take into account the year the grades were awarded too.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Not lost now. Think Ive answered the question in the OP.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most Unis have a time limit on qualifications - 3 years, 5 years, 10 years or whatever.
They want evidence of 'recent study' because they need to know that your study skills are 'current' and you are 'ready for higher level study'.

So, whilst you need to list your previous A level grades, the Unis will be far more interested in your Access predicted grades as that is 'now'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
18.13%
I'm not sure (5)
2.75%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (63)
34.62%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.65%
I'm not a current university student (78)
42.86%

Watched Threads