The Student Room Group

Stuck with course decision

I am stuck between choosing one course as my final decision. I want to do either English Literature or law for Uni. I have a strong passion for both subjects but I can't decide. I love english literature but I don't know what potential career I want to do for it, However for law I need pretty high grades for my predicted and I don't know what to do someone help please
It's totally up to you honestly. I had to pick between history and english lit, picked history, and found that with english lit it can so easily be a hobby/interest that I don't really feel like I left it behind.
Do you want a career in law? I know you're concerned about your predicted grades but if that's what you want then go for law. That being said, after an english degree you could do a law conversion if you change your mind
Reply 2
Original post by historynerd47
It's totally up to you honestly. I had to pick between history and english lit, picked history, and found that with english lit it can so easily be a hobby/interest that I don't really feel like I left it behind.
Do you want a career in law? I know you're concerned about your predicted grades but if that's what you want then go for law. That being said, after an english degree you could do a law conversion if you change your mind

I haven't really thought about a conversion course. That will be good to look into, Thank you.
Original post by Xfellsx
I haven't really thought about a conversion course. That will be good to look into, Thank you.

That's okay! I understand how difficult picking a course is, but if it helps either way you won't lose the subject- you can study english in your spare time or convert to law, and as they are relatively similar (entry requirements wise) they there will be possibility of transferring later. I know you want to know now, but those are some suggestions as to not worry too much
Reply 4
That's okay! I understand how difficult picking a course is, but if it helps either way you won't lose the subject- you can study english in your spare time or convert to law, and as they are relatively similar (entry requirements wise) they there will be possibility of transferring later. I know you want to know now, but those are some suggestions as to not worry too much

Also if you don't mind me asking, how relevant are your predicted grades to universities because I know I can get higher for my actual A'levels.
Original post by Xfellsx
Also if you don't mind me asking, how relevant are your predicted grades to universities because I know I can get higher for my actual A'levels.

Your predicted grades are the main factor in your application really. You could always go through adjustments on results day, or apply next year. The uni experience is going to be pretty strange for a while and it would give you more time to try and get work experience for law if that's what you want to study (as work experience is tough due to covid as I'm sure you know)
Reply 6
Your predicted grades are the main factor in your application really. You could always go through adjustments on results day, or apply next year. The uni experience is going to be pretty strange for a while and it would give you more time to try and get work experience for law if that's what you want to study (as work experience is tough due to covid as I'm sure you know

I was actually thinking of doing a gap year actually. I will apply this year see what offers I get then if it doesn't work out I'll try clearing as soon as I get my results. If not then I'll re apply next year. You've helped me so much with my decisions once again Thank you so much.
Original post by Xfellsx
I was actually thinking of doing a gap year actually. I will apply this year see what offers I get then if it doesn't work out I'll try clearing as soon as I get my results. If not then I'll re apply next year. You've helped me so much with my decisions once again Thank you so much.

Aww no worries, good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest