The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth - Marine Biology

Hi,

I’m an undergrad 1st year and I’ve currently got a place at Portsmouth for a difference course. However, I’ve been interested in studying Marine Biology for a while now but wanted to get some advice on it.I was thinking of going through clearing and asking if I can swap from my current course to Marine Biology, however, I don’t have any science A levels. The likelihood I get it is low, but I wanted to hear some advice as I don’t want to embarras myself on the phone.

Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by attenborough02
Hi,

I’m an undergrad 1st year and I’ve currently got a place at Portsmouth for a difference course. However, I’ve been interested in studying Marine Biology for a while now but wanted to get some advice on it.I was thinking of going through clearing and asking if I can swap from my current course to Marine Biology, however, I don’t have any science A levels. The likelihood I get it is low, but I wanted to hear some advice as I don’t want to embarras myself on the phone.

Thanks

Hey @attenborough02!

The entry requirements on the website state that you would need A-level biology as it states here, so I'm afraid I don't think you would be offered a place
You could phone up the clearing hotline which is open until 4:30pm and ask if there is any other way for you to get onto the course!

They would be able to give you a definite answer :smile:
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
If you are interested in studying marine biology at uni but don't have any science A-levels, I'd recommend looking at courses with a foundation year. I don't know if Portsmouth offer one, but I do know that Southampton do (and their science foundation year definitely permits continuation to the marine biology course there - I know someone who did just that!).

On such a course with foundation year you would undertake a preliminary year 0 studying the science material from A-level that you need for the course and haven't covered before (at Southampton you do biology and chemistry equally, plus some maths alongside that), before (subject to meeting specified progression criteria) moving into the first year of the main degree programme as anyone else.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending