Madman11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Name:  649E639A-2889-4242-AEB5-2FF6D0F11E56.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  65.8 KB

Hi, can someone explain why, in part b, when taking things to their respective sides, in order to integrate them, the markscheme takes 20 to the P side - basically forming 20/(P(5-2P)). I find this really confusing as in part A it asks u to find partial fractions of 1/ P(5-2P) , and in literally every question I’ve seen where it asks u to do something beforehand, u always use that to ur advantage in the next part of the question, so I only bought the P(5-2P) to the other side, and left the right hand side as 1/20, but got the answer wrong.
Blackhart
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can turn 20/(P(5-P)) in to 20(1/(P(5-P))) and then since 20 is just a constant you can move it outside of the integral and then you are just left to integrate 1/(P(5-P)). Then like you said you use part a.) to split it into partial fractions so you have two easy ln integrals. I dont see any reason why your method wouldn't produce the right answer however so you must have made an error at some point in your working or the mark scheme was wrong. I imagine the reason the 20 was moved as well is whenever you can remove fractions from an equation you should as it makes things a bit more clear, in this particular case it doesn't matter very much though.
Madman11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Name:  C933487A-BB41-4555-AC00-E803DFB6A99A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  23.1 KB

Do you mind explaining to me where I’ve gone wrong ? I’ve subbed in the right things and I’m fairly certain my maths it right (?) but I’m getting a negative number for weeks. Markscheme started off with taking 20 to the other side as well, but I wanna try getting to the answer by leaving 20 on the RHS, as that is what I’d probably do in the exam. Thanks.
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Looks like you double count the 5 multiplier when integrating the (5-2p) term?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it is up to you whether you move the 20. the answer has to come out the same.
Madman11
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Looks like you double count the 5 multiplier when integrating the (5-2p) term?
Which line is this ?
Madman11
Rep:
?
Ohh I’ve just integrated it again, and got -ln(5(5-2P)). I’ll try the question again now
Madman11
Rep:
?
Nah still can’t manage it lmao
Madman11
Rep:
?
Ahaha I managed it, thank you very much
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Madman11)
Ahaha I managed it, thank you very much
Well done - been asleep. You can see why it's easier to make mistakes when using frsctions (original reply)?
Madman11
Rep:
?
Yep definitely. Think I’m just gonna eliminate fractions whenever possible from now on - saves so much time and effort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise