Is my law career dead before it began?

Watch
Sadsteve
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I’m a recent graduate with a 2:1 law degree at a mid table uni. In 2016, when I was 19, I got into a argument with a friend and ended up being arrested and given a caution for assault with intent to resist arrest. The officer placed his knee on my diaphragm so I could not breathe, I told them twice I couldn’t breathe properly. I was dumb and accepted the caution because I didn’t want to face a judge or go to court because I’ve always been a straight edge kid. Now I’m 23 and I found out I have to do a DBS. Is my law career dead before it’s begun.

Thanks in advance.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/st...ability-rules/
Sadsteve
Rep:
?
Any opinions from professionals or lay persons in the legal system would be appreciated. Thank you.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you hold a job offer?
Did you disclose this to your employer in your application?

999tigger might be able to help
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sadsteve)
Hi all,

I’m a recent graduate with a 2:1 law degree at a mid table uni. In 2016, when I was 19, I got into a argument with a friend and ended up being arrested and given a caution for assault with intent to resist arrest. The officer placed his knee on my diaphragm so I could not breathe, I told them twice I couldn’t breathe properly. I was dumb and accepted the caution because I didn’t want to face a judge or go to court because I’ve always been a straight edge kid. Now I’m 23 and I found out I have to do a DBS. Is my law career dead before it’s begun.

Thanks in advance.
Having dinner, but you should be fine.
Obviously it will show and then you have to submit an explanation and evidence, which they then consider.
It can result in refusal, but as long as you create a narrative, young foolish, naive, wanted to get it over with, medical reasons + evidence, then show contrition , learnt your lesson, clean record since and understand about the need for integrity within the profession.

Am sure you can construct something. Also a bit of humility and showing you understand the rules wont harm you.

Couple of good character references and you should be ok.

Not sure how you could get to 23 and its4 years after that you realise you have to do a dbs?
Have you got a TC. or about to complete one?

Sorry not the best answer as its the brussel sprout of subjects this evening. Anyway I would be hopeful and just make sure the application is on point.

Look at Rule 3 ROTL linked you.
https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/st...-rules/#rule-3
Sadsteve
Rep:
?
Never needed to do a dbs. But I’m hopeful and I was going through a lot during that period. I intend to start a TC soon. I am hopeful.
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Never needed to do a dbs. But I’m hopeful and I was going through a lot during that period. I intend to start a TC soon. I am hopeful.
i think that the main issue is whether you disclosed it to your employer
if they accepted you regardless there's no issue because they'll expect it to come up

you still haven't said whether you have an offer or whether you're just applying. help the people trying to help you lol
Sadsteve
Rep:
?
Sorry my bad, I’m still just

applying
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry my bad, I’m still just

applying
no problem, it's just helpful to know info like this you know
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cautions only show on a DBS check for 6 years (after which time it need not be disclosed), this happened 4 years ago, and you're applying for a TC in 2020-21 for a start date of 2023-24.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.22%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (634)
49%

Watched Threads