Is it normal to still get scared now?

Watch
Amy975
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was abused as a child, emotionally never physically. I still get scared now if someone raises their voice near me. My gut still drops if someone says 'can I have a word' I assume I'm in trouble. Is this normal for it to still affect me?
med_bed
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's completely natural for it to affect you, that's the nature of this, I'm afraid. Abuse follows you throughout your life - that being said, I'd try and confront it while I was still young by going to a therapist etc to help you cope, so that it won't affect your relationships too much. I'm sorry that happened to you, and you deserve to be able to move on fully - but it won't happen by itself.
Amy975
Rep:
?
(Original post by med_bed)
it's completely natural for it to affect you, that's the nature of this, I'm afraid. Abuse follows you throughout your life - that being said, I'd try and confront it while I was still young by going to a therapist etc to help you cope, so that it won't affect your relationships too much. I'm sorry that happened to you, and you deserve to be able to move on fully - but it won't happen by itself.
I'm not young now, I'm 32!!
I might speak to my GP about it
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Normal for someone who's had your experiences, I still flinch whenever anyone makes any sudden moves near me at 25. If it's bothering you, a professional would be the best person to talk to.
Last edited by ROTL94; 4 weeks ago
Amy975
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Normal for someone who's had your experiences, I still flinch whenever anyone makes any sudden moves near me at 25. If it's bothering you, a professional would be the best perso to talk to.
I might speak to a professional.
Lilymae69
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I feel like this is why I have so much anxiety. My dad always threatens to hit me with heavy things like waterbottles and tv remotes.
Amy975
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilymae69)
I feel like this is why I have so much anxiety. My dad always threatens to hit me with heavy things like waterbottles and tv remotes.
I'm sorry. You know you can speak to someone about what is happening to you, If you are in danger ring 999
Lilymae69
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amy975)
I'm sorry. You know you can speak to someone about what is happening to you, If you are in danger ring 999
Thank you
Amy975
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilymae69)
Thank you
No problem
Amy975
Rep:
?
If someone argues with me or near me I still panic and start to cry.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Normal for someone who's had your experiences, I still flinch whenever anyone makes any sudden moves near me at 25. If it's bothering you, a professional would be the best person to talk to.
I always flinch too and sometimes I hit the other person out of involuntary self defense I guess?? Anyway I thought that was normal in everybody.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads