The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan - Permanent address

I went to the US for my undergraduate studies and I am now in the UK to get an MSc. I am thinking of applying for a postgraduate student loan. When I read the eligibility criteria, it says that you have to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years. Since I went to the US on a temporary basis will I still be eligible for the loan? In the student loan application form, what would I give as the permanent address from 2017 to 2020? Should it be the rental accommodation I was living in while studying or should it be the address in the UK? Will I need to provide any address proof for the address in the UK and if yes what sort of documents might be acceptable? Sorry for the long list of questions. I'd really appreciate any advice or help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ordresornot
I went to the US for my undergraduate studies and I am now in the UK to get an MSc. I am thinking of applying for a postgraduate student loan. When I read the eligibility criteria, it says that you have to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years. Since I went to the US on a temporary basis will I still be eligible for the loan? In the student loan application form, what would I give as the permanent address from 2017 to 2020? Should it be the rental accommodation I was living in while studying or should it be the address in the UK? Will I need to provide any address proof for the address in the UK and if yes what sort of documents might be acceptable? Sorry for the long list of questions. I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

Hi, what is your Nationality?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, what is your Nationality?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I’m a British citizen.
Hi Isaac,

I’m a British citizen.

If you were outside of the UK/EU in the last 3 years (from 01/09/2017 to 01/09/2020) then you need to write down the address you were residing at and you will be asked to prove your absence was temporary. Evidence can be uploaded online, we can accept things like return flight tickets, temporary visa, letter from school/employer to confirm it was temporary, bank statements to show you had ties to the UK, any other evidence to show you still had ties to the UK.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Hi Isaac, Thank you so much for replying. I can show my study visa to prove that the visit was temporary. My undergraduate course started in 2016 and ended in 2020. Unfortunately, I do not have bank statements or utility bills issued in my name from 2017 to 2020. However, I did visit my family during the study term breaks. Will the tickets be sufficient to show ties to the UK? Are there any other documentation I can show to prove ties?
Hi Isaac, Thank you so much for replying. I can show my study visa to prove that the visit was temporary. My undergraduate course started in 2016 and ended in 2020. Unfortunately, I do not have bank statements or utility bills issued in my name from 2017 to 2020. However, I did visit my family during the study term breaks. Will the tickets be sufficient to show ties to the UK? Are there any other documentation I can show to prove ties?

What ties did you keep with the UK?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
What ties did you keep with the UK?
Thanks, Isaac

I used to visit my family here during my study breaks. Other than that I’m not sure what you mean by ties to the UK? I am currently in the UK after I finished my studies abroad. Can I show my parent’s bank statements as proof of ties? They funded my studies in the US. Thank you for your help!
I used to visit my family here during my study breaks. Other than that I’m not sure what you mean by ties to the UK? I am currently in the UK after I finished my studies abroad. Can I show my parent’s bank statements as proof of ties? They funded my studies in the US. Thank you for your help!

Ties for example, if you were paying bills here, if you still had a home here, if you were sending money here -if you had no ties and were just visiting family then I'm not sure what evidence you can provide for that.

You should send as much evidence as you have and that you can think of that proves you were away temporarily.
You went to the USA to study so you should just explain that in a letter, ask your university to provide a letter stating you were there temporarily and provide proof of your temporary visa and that should be good enough in my opinion.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Ties for example, if you were paying bills here, if you still had a home here, if you were sending money here -if you had no ties and were just visiting family then I'm not sure what evidence you can provide for that.

You should send as much evidence as you have and that you can think of that proves you were away temporarily.
You went to the USA to study so you should just explain that in a letter, ask your university to provide a letter stating you were there temporarily and provide proof of your temporary visa and that should be good enough in my opinion.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks a lot Isaac!
Thanks a lot Isaac!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending