unfairly being made to retake first year - need advice

Watch
blueskies553
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone

I’ve got a friend who is really distressed after being told by her university (South Bank - Psychology) that she must repeat her first year for not completing an assignment.

There was an issue with their online platform/system, where a small number of students did not receive any information about this assignment. Those students, including my friend, have been told to repeat the first year. Clearly my friend was not at fault since she had no other way of knowing about this assignment. She had even received her results after taking her summer exams, saying she had passed. There was nothing indicating that she had failed or missed a deadline.

Recently, she enrolled for her second year and everything was fine up until she noticed that she was sent a timetable for year 1. After contacting her uni, she was told that there is nothing that can be done except for her to repeat the year. Even after contacting the university about this multiple times, she has been turned away.

It seems very unfair that this happened to her, since she was not at fault. It’s surprising that the department did not even consider giving her the opportunity to complete that assignment in year 2.

This has been extremely distressing and upsetting for her so any advice would be appreciated. Is there anyone else that can be contacted about this? Has this happened to anyone else before?

Thank you in advance.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by blueskies553)
Hi everyone

I’ve got a friend who is really distressed after being told by her university (South Bank - Psychology) that she must repeat her first year for not completing an assignment.

There was an issue with their online platform/system, where a small number of students did not receive any information about this assignment. Those students, including my friend, have been told to repeat the first year. Clearly my friend was not at fault since she had no other way of knowing about this assignment. She had even received her results after taking her summer exams, saying she had passed. There was nothing indicating that she had failed or missed a deadline.

Recently, she enrolled for her second year and everything was fine up until she noticed that she was sent a timetable for year 1. After contacting her uni, she was told that there is nothing that can be done except for her to repeat the year. Even after contacting the university about this multiple times, she has been turned away.

It seems very unfair that this happened to her, since she was not at fault. It’s surprising that the department did not even consider giving her the opportunity to complete that assignment in year 2.

This has been extremely distressing and upsetting for her so any advice would be appreciated. Is there anyone else that can be contacted about this? Has this happened to anyone else before?

Thank you in advance.
Sorry to hear about this. Your friend should get in contact with her department at her uni and failing that, student support services at her uni who should be able to help with this matter. Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.2%
I'm not sure (32)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (234)
31.2%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.93%

Watched Threads