The Student Room Group

I need help please help me ctech it/ict

I am really dying.. I cannot do the coursework it's so complicated for someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about IT neither was I ever taught. I was just given coursework with no guidance or anything I need help urgently!
Original post by OnAndOff
I am really dying.. I cannot do the coursework it's so complicated for someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about IT neither was I ever taught. I was just given coursework with no guidance or anything I need help urgently!

If you ask specific questions, people will be willing to help. Nobody will want to help or sympathise with you if you just say "I don't get it" though.

You mentioned in your other post that your teachers aren't great, which sucks and presumably means you've had a year of learning already. But that begs the question why haven't you don't anything about it before? This shouldn't be an urgent problem.
Reply 2
Original post by AcseI
If you ask specific questions, people will be willing to help. Nobody will want to help or sympathise with you if you just say "I don't get it" though.

You mentioned in your other post that your teachers aren't great, which sucks and presumably means you've had a year of learning already. But that begs the question why haven't you don't anything about it before? This shouldn't be an urgent problem.

No it's been two weeks since I have started the course about 5 lessons. Two of which was cancelled due to my teacher being in quarantine, I was just given course work with barely any knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by AcseI

I also have another teacher teaching a completely different unit, so for this coursework I was genuinely taught nothing.
No it's been two weeks since I have started the course about 5 lessons. Two of which was cancelled due to my teacher being in quarantine, I was just given course work with barely any knowledge.

Then maybe your teacher expects you to do your own research? Maybe you're not expected to be able to do everything straight away? How urgent actually is this problem if you've only just started?

As above, we can't help if we don't know what you need to do. And even then, nobody is going to want to help if you don't show that you're trying. I understand that it's frustrating, but at the end of the day complaining about the problem won't fix it. Putting in the effort will.
Reply 5
Original post by AcseI
Then maybe your teacher expects you to do your own research? Maybe you're not expected to be able to do everything straight away? How urgent actually is this problem if you've only just started?

As above, we can't help if we don't know what you need to do. And even then, nobody is going to want to help if you don't show that you're trying. I understand that it's frustrating, but at the end of the day complaining about the problem won't fix it. Putting in the effort will.

Fair enough, apologies it's just that I'm so used to exams and having information given to just memorise. I haven't ever done course work before.. Is it fine if you could look at my brief explanation of network addressing and tell me whether it's accurate or not?
Fair enough, apologies it's just that I'm so used to exams and having information given to just memorise. I haven't ever done course work before.. Is it fine if you could look at my brief explanation of network addressing and tell me whether it's accurate or not?

That's fair, and it can be frustrating if you're not used to it. However as you progress you'll be expected to take more responsibility for your education, so it's worth getting used to it.

I'm completely happy to look over and answer questions you've got. Don't post any work on the forums though, as it may later get picked up by plagiarism checkers. If you've just written a general explanation for something and want it checked over that's fine to post. Same for asking general questions. But for any work, especially coursework, that may be submitted send it to me via PM instead.
Reply 7
Original post by AcseI
That's fair, and it can be frustrating if you're not used to it. However as you progress you'll be expected to take more responsibility for your education, so it's worth getting used to it.

I'm completely happy to look over and answer questions you've got. Don't post any work on the forums though, as it may later get picked up by plagiarism checkers. If you've just written a general explanation for something and want it checked over that's fine to post. Same for asking general questions. But for any work, especially coursework, that may be submitted send it to me via PM instead.

Thanks just got to add a few more stuff, if I get clarification from this I'll know I'm doing the right thing and wont need help in the future.

PS. Your laptop guide from 1-2 years ago really helped me! :biggrin:
You will definitely have been given the info, but you may not know what to look for. At uni, many teachers will lecture/deliver some content, but then students need to do independent learning on their own to find out more.

For every assessment there should be a clear explanation or brief in the course guide, and you should have been given that even before day 1, week 1. So it shouldn't come as a suprise to you that there is coursework due now - perhaps it requires some research on your part? Maybe it's contained in the readings?

In short, not everything you need to discuss for coursework or an exam comes from exactly what you have done in class - most comes from additional prep you do outside of class hours, following the course guide.
Reply 9
Original post by Emmerage
You will definitely have been given the info, but you may not know what to look for. At uni, many teachers will lecture/deliver some content, but then students need to do independent learning on their own to find out more.

For every assessment there should be a clear explanation or brief in the course guide, and you should have been given that even before day 1, week 1. So it shouldn't come as a suprise to you that there is coursework due now - perhaps it requires some research on your part? Maybe it's contained in the readings?

In short, not everything you need to discuss for coursework or an exam comes from exactly what you have done in class - most comes from additional prep you do outside of class hours, following the course guide.

I'm doing A-Levels and haven't had any previous experience, they honestly haven't given us any resources or told us what to study prior coursework. I genuinely haven't learnt anything but it's fine.
Thanks just got to add a few more stuff, if I get clarification from this I'll know I'm doing the right thing and wont need help in the future.

PS. Your laptop guide from 1-2 years ago really helped me! :biggrin:

No problem, send it over when you're ready.

Oh wow, it's not often that anyone remembers my old laptop guide, especially since I no longer own the guide and deleted my old account. Thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by AcseI
No problem, send it over when you're ready.

Oh wow, it's not often that anyone remembers my old laptop guide, especially since I no longer own the guide and deleted my old account. Thanks :smile:

I just made a huge mistake.. So I kind of wrote on all my work on your profile page instead of dm's
I just made a huge mistake.. So I kind of wrote on all my work on your profile page instead of dm's

Don't worry, I've deleted the message. Feel free to PM it to me instead

Quick Reply

Latest