AveriNova
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm getting very close to having to apply to Uni and I have been interested in film production for some time now as I believe my love of drama is better handled behind the scenes than in front of the camera.

However, I'm starting to worry if I am actually fit to take a film/tv prouction course at University as I am more inclined to be a runner/production assistant atm as I have no knowledge of anything else such as camera work and editing. But I am more than willing and excited to learn these things aswell!

Am I setting myself up for failure by applying for this course which no prior camera work or editing experience? Please help!

I am currently looking at applying for film production at York, Portsmouth and Leeds Beckett and Film production with Drama at Bristol and Exeter
Last edited by AveriNova; 3 months ago
AnnaMirjam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!
I'm studying Film at the University of Westminster. Usually, BA courses are for orientation. You'll learn all the required skills to partake in any role in Film Production, so you don't need any skills before starting your first year. I don't know about the universities you chose, but usually, film production universities require you to show a portfolio of your works. This could be scripts, photos, films, basically anything that reflect your skills and show that you have a bit of an interpretation of films/narratives.
I hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any questions regarding my film course.
AveriNova
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by AnnaMirjam)
Hi!
I'm studying Film at the University of Westminster. Usually, BA courses are for orientation. You'll learn all the required skills to partake in any role in Film Production, so you don't need any skills before starting your first year. I don't know about the universities you chose, but usually, film production universities require you to show a portfolio of your works. This could be scripts, photos, films, basically anything that reflect your skills and show that you have a bit of an interpretation of films/narratives.
I hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any questions regarding my film course.
Thank you so much this actually helps a lot! I'm about to start helping in scripting, filming, performing in and directing a school production and the scenes will go up on YouTube for future and past students to look at (it's this annual school tradition performance thing where the year 13s take over the school for the day and make a play/movie impersonating the teachers) so i'm assuming this should be more than enough to show that I have at least some knowledge in these departments and am capable of doing them.

Do you believe this will be enough? If not, what do you recommend me doing considering the COVID circumstances we're in? I haven't seen anything concerning portfolios on the Uni's im looking at websites but i'll dig a bit deeper and find out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise