The Student Room Group

Worried about studying film production at Uni

I'm getting very close to having to apply to Uni and I have been interested in film production for some time now as I believe my love of drama is better handled behind the scenes than in front of the camera.

However, I'm starting to worry if I am actually fit to take a film/tv prouction course at University as I am more inclined to be a runner/production assistant atm as I have no knowledge of anything else such as camera work and editing. But I am more than willing and excited to learn these things aswell!

Am I setting myself up for failure by applying for this course which no prior camera work or editing experience? Please help!

I am currently looking at applying for film production at York, Portsmouth and Leeds Beckett and Film production with Drama at Bristol and Exeter
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!
I'm studying Film at the University of Westminster. Usually, BA courses are for orientation. You'll learn all the required skills to partake in any role in Film Production, so you don't need any skills before starting your first year. I don't know about the universities you chose, but usually, film production universities require you to show a portfolio of your works. This could be scripts, photos, films, basically anything that reflect your skills and show that you have a bit of an interpretation of films/narratives.
I hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any questions regarding my film course.
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaMirjam
Hi!
I'm studying Film at the University of Westminster. Usually, BA courses are for orientation. You'll learn all the required skills to partake in any role in Film Production, so you don't need any skills before starting your first year. I don't know about the universities you chose, but usually, film production universities require you to show a portfolio of your works. This could be scripts, photos, films, basically anything that reflect your skills and show that you have a bit of an interpretation of films/narratives.
I hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any questions regarding my film course.

Thank you so much this actually helps a lot! I'm about to start helping in scripting, filming, performing in and directing a school production and the scenes will go up on YouTube for future and past students to look at (it's this annual school tradition performance thing where the year 13s take over the school for the day and make a play/movie impersonating the teachers) so i'm assuming this should be more than enough to show that I have at least some knowledge in these departments and am capable of doing them.

Do you believe this will be enough? If not, what do you recommend me doing considering the COVID circumstances we're in? I haven't seen anything concerning portfolios on the Uni's im looking at websites but i'll dig a bit deeper and find out
Original post by AveriNova
I'm getting very close to having to apply to Uni and I have been interested in film production for some time now as I believe my love of drama is better handled behind the scenes than in front of the camera.

However, I'm starting to worry if I am actually fit to take a film/tv prouction course at University as I am more inclined to be a runner/production assistant atm as I have no knowledge of anything else such as camera work and editing. But I am more than willing and excited to learn these things aswell!

Am I setting myself up for failure by applying for this course which no prior camera work or editing experience? Please help!

I am currently looking at applying for film production at York, Portsmouth and Leeds Beckett and Film production with Drama at Bristol and Exeter

Hello! I’m actually in a very similar boat - I’ve firmed my university for film production, and paid my deposit for my accommodation. I have little to no experience in film (minus some podcast work in year 12, and editing videos I take for fun), I know universities will cover everything you need to learn and thrive in the industry! It’s definitely a scary thought knowing you have no previous experience, but honestly all will work out!
Film production like any degree requires a shift in learning style. At university you’re expected to take more control over your learning - so if you don’t understand something or don’t know how to do something then you’re expected to proactively ask for help - from academic staff, technical staff and from your fellow students. Film making is a collaborative effort and so you’ll be working in teams with other students. Some of them will be more experienced in other aspects and for some areas you might find you have more experience or aptitude. Whenever you come across someone with more experience then actively ask them for advice and help (and share when people ask you for help too!). One overlooked but vital skill for film making is organisation skills - planning work and scheduling and finances all need doing before a camera is switched on.
Original post by AveriNova

Hi! @AveriNova

You'll be able to learn all of these new skills when you start the course to help you build and work on the foundations of the course. It's understandable that you won't have much experience as some colleges don't offer this experience.
Most would like that you show some of your creative skills. Your drama experience and passion will reflect this.
If you do feel really worried though and would like some assurance then feel free to contact your course (I'll add the details at the bottom of this). Definitely ask to speak to a course rep. They'll be able to provide you with detail about the course from a current students perspective and this should reassure you a lot.
[email protected]
You sound like you have a lot of ambition for the course which is the first most important step, I think.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending