The Student Room Group

What type of brackets for matrices?

I have googled this and it seemed that square brackets were correct however my lecturer said that curved brackets were correct so I'm a bit confused.

What type of brackets do you use for matrices?
Original post by Lightning720
I have googled this and it seemed that square brackets were correct however my lecturer said that curved brackets were correct so I'm a bit confused.

Either one is suitable.
Original post by RDKGames
Either one is suitable.

Ok, thank you :smile: Both the internet and my lecturer made it seem like only one was acceptable for some reason.
I dont think it matters as long as it is clear.
Personally I used square brackets for matrices when writing by hand as when you end up with rather large equations which require lots of brackets and matrices its easier to keep curved brackets for brackets and square ones for matrices.
Can I DM someone here for help on a matrix question please?
Can I DM someone here for help on a matrix question please?

Posting on the maths forum is almost invariably the best method.
Original post by ghostwalker
Posting on the maths forum is almost invariably the best method.

I'd rather DM someone. I may also have a question about hyperbolic functions.
I'd rather DM someone. I may also have a question about hyperbolic functions.

Good luck with that. We are all volunteers on here so we are not paid to help you privately. You might be waiting a long time for a reply via DM's, and nobody else can verify whether your helper is fully correct or not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Good luck with that. We are all volunteers on here so you might be waiting for a reply for a long time.

Then let's hope someone volunteers to answer two questions.

Either is fine but I always used curved

Quick Reply

Latest