Somebody Tried Claiming Universal Credit With My Address: What Should I Do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so some east european immigrant tried claiming universal credit. Only problem is, she tried listing my house as her abode and got rejected :lol:

I get times are tough but I am absolutely fedup of people listing my address for their parking violations or to claim things which arent their when my parents house has belonged to my parents for over 30 years and the only people to live there are me and my parents for over 35 years. we are the legal owners and personally have 2 minds about this. if they listed our name by accident, they should be informed about this (only problem is, we have no idea who this person is) but if they are scamming the government, serves them right.

So how should I approach this. my parents are currently claiming disability pension (on account that 1 of them has 1 leg and has an incurable wasting disease - so yeah, is sponging benefits per right wing nutjobs on here even though they have been disabled for 60 years, was working for 40 and only started claiming benefits 2 years ago...2 years after they retired from working for the uk government) and are worried some idiot may ruin this.

Personally we are thinking of contacting the universal credit people on monday to inform them about this situation.
iNeed2p
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Personally we are thinking of contacting the universal credit people on monday to inform them about this situation.
You already answered your question. Call them up, their number is 0800 328 5644.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
so some east european immigrant tried claiming universal credit. Only problem is, she tried listing my house as her abode and got rejected :lol:

I get times are tough but I am absolutely fedup of people listing my address for their parking violations or to claim things which arent their when my parents house has belonged to my parents for over 30 years and the only people to live there are me and my parents for over 35 years. we are the legal owners and personally have 2 minds about this. if they listed our name by accident, they should be informed about this (only problem is, we have no idea who this person is) but if they are scamming the government, serves them right.

So how should I approach this. my parents are currently claiming disability pension (on account that 1 of them has 1 leg and has an incurable wasting disease - so yeah, is sponging benefits per right wing nutjobs on here even though they have been disabled for 60 years, was working for 40 and only started claiming benefits 2 years ago...2 years after they retired from working for the uk government) and are worried some idiot may ruin this.

yes definitely speak to them on monday, perhaps offer to send something to prove it's just the 3 of you living there.
iNeed2p
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'east european immigrant'
There was no need to say this. How do you know there are from east Europe and they're immigrant?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago

Just let the anti fraud squad know and check no one else is claiming from your address.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iNeed2p)
There was no need to say this. How do you know there are from east Europe and they're immigrant?
romanian name no idea if they are an immigrant or born here but considering a vast majority of romanians in my area are not from the Uk, id got for the former.

should also mention a few years ago, some romanian scammers tried forcing their way into my parents home saying they had the lease for it...till we called the police and they ran.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just let the anti fraud squad know and check no one else is claiming from your address.
how do i contact them?
Anonymous #1
You already answered your question. Call them up, their number is 0800 328 5644.
they are shut on weekends. personally wish there is a way to deal with it sooner.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
how do i contact them?
#2 posted it.
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
they are shut on weekends. personally wish there is a way to deal with it sooner.
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

The link allows you report it online.

If you wish, you can ring as well on Monday. You can also write a letter to them and include copies of the correspondence you have received.

National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NBFH)

Telephone: 0800 854 440

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

National Benefit Fraud Hotline
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 2BP
Last edited by Kerzen; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
will they get in trouble if it is an error on their part instead of fraud? (e.g. given wrong house number)
Anonymous #1
had a look at the letter and it confirmed they are indeed an immigrant as it says they failed the habitual residence test and they have failed to demonstrate they have a right to reside.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be honest, it's not something you need to fret about. It's actually possible that the address has been incorrectly typed and it should have gone to a neighbouring property.

Just report what you said in your first post using the online system.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
To be honest, it's not something you need to fret about. It's actually possible that the address has been incorrectly typed and it should have gone to a neighbouring property.

Just report what you said in your first post using the online system.
thanks, am doing it now. like i said, i feel bad for them if it is genuine and hope they get it sorted. but if its a scammer, hope they get arrested (especially if its those sods who tried forcing their way into our house claiming they owned it)
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What you could also do is take photocopies of what you have received and then put the original back into its envelope, sealing it, writing 'Not Known At This Address' and then put it into the postbox.
Anonymous #1
will look into it. most likely will post after speaking to them on monday
Anonymous #1
decided to wait until monday to speak with whomever deals with UC and see what they say. if UC does confirm they are claiming our address as theirs, ill report the person benefit fraud (also can a mod close this thread as ive gotten all the answer I need. thank you 999tigger and Kerzen .
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
decided to wait until monday to speak with whomever deals with UC and see what they say. if UC does confirm they are claiming our address as theirs, ill report the person benefit fraud (also can a mod close this thread as ive gotten all the answer I need. thank you 999tigger and Kerzen .
Be sure to ring the number for Benefit Fraud, 0800 854 440, rather than any other numbers for Universal Credit. Ringing the main UC number will hold up a phone call from someone who needs to apply for it.

Ring just after they open too, just in case the line gets busy.
Last edited by Kerzen; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
benefit fraud phone number isnt working during covid and will only do online claims
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
benefit fraud phone number isnt working during covid and will only do online claims
There you go, then, do the report online, photocopy everything and put it back into the post.

Sorted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.49%
I'm not sure (36)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (388)
48.93%

Watched Threads