Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! Im currently so lost. Im 15 and in y11 so i will be doing my GCSE's and Idek what i want to do. People always tell me that I'm young and i don't need to worry about what i want to do but I'm doing Alevels next year. That means i have to pick specific subjects that'll help me get the job i want. I just feel so overwhelmed with everything. My anxiety isn't helping and its only gotten worse. Its come to the point where i can FEEL my heart beating faster and its terrifying me. I sometimes cant take deep breaths and when i try, it feelsl ike im suffocating. And the government isn't helping either with the constant changes in the gcse's. How am i supposed to prepare?? Ive missed out almost 6 months of learning and I've just gotten back to school and its horrible.

I try to look happy for my parents and my siblings cause i don't want them to worry but tbh i don't have anyone to talk to. Im the oldest out of my three younger siblings so i don't even have a lot of guidance or someone to talk to. To be fair, I'm not sure why I'm ranting on this platform but if you've read this far, thank you for staying and listening to my mental breakdown.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't be under the impression that your A-levels will 'lock you in' to a certain career. It doesn't really happen like that. A lot of graduate-level jobs will just ask for a degree - not even a specified subject - and experience would matter much more to employers than A-level choices anyway. Like I'm doing physics at uni right now, but I could well end up doing the same job afterwards as someone doing languages, even if it's graduate-level.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Don't be under the impression that your A-levels will 'lock you in' to a certain career. It doesn't really happen like that. A lot of graduate-level jobs will just ask for a degree - not even a specified subject - and experience would matter much more to employers than A-level choices anyway. Like I'm doing physics at uni right now, but I could well end up doing the same job afterwards as someone doing languages, even if it's graduate-level.
hmm.. ok. thank you for your reply
Don’tKnowWhat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m in Year 11 as well and I have sort of an idea of what I want to do, but I’m quite nervous about exams and stuff or if we’ll even sit them.

Don’t worry, just try your hardest and know everyone else is in the same boat lol
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
You’re welcome! Stay strong, it’ll get better x

(Original post by Anonymous)
hmm.. ok. thank you for your reply
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I'm a bit confused about what you're asking us to do?
Would you like us to provide some guidance about picking A-Levels?

Also, there is truly no need to worry, although I know that anxiety isn't as simple as saying 'don't worry' and it going away. I picked my A-Levels on Results Day and then changed one A-Level 1 month into Year 12! It's a matter of figuring out what you enjoy! Just take it slow and get a feel for the subjects you're studying. Do you enjoy them? Which ones do you find easiest? Which ones could you see yourself pursuing at a higher level.

When you pick your A Levels, you shouldn't be thinking 'what career will this lead me to', you should be thinking about the subjects themselves and then you can pursue a career later in life based off them. And as Sinnoh said, just because you chose a certain set of subjects doesn't mean you have closed off doors. Even (worst case scenario) if you pick let's say English, History and Politics, and then halfway through Year 12 you realize you want to be a doctor, you can always retake your A-Levels. You're not confined here. You have a lot of space and all options are open. So please do not worry.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can also give you some information about what studying certain subjects at A Level is like if you would like?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chloenix)
I can also give you some information about what studying certain subjects at A Level is like if you would like?
Hi! I just saw these replies and I wanted to thank you! For now, I think I would rather focus on gcse's though. Thank you!
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I just saw these replies and I wanted to thank you! For now, I think I would rather focus on gcse's though. Thank you!
That's totally fine and definitely a reasonable decision you have lots of time to decide. Please don't stress too much for your GCSEs, at the end of the day they don't mean too much. Just listen in class, keep up with your work and you'll do just fine I promise
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chloenix)
That's totally fine and definitely a reasonable decision you have lots of time to decide. Please don't stress too much for your GCSEs, at the end of the day they don't mean too much. Just listen in class, keep up with your work and you'll do just fine I promise
You make it sound so easy
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You make it sound so easy
I don't want to say that it's easy because it's not, but it is so much easier than you have been told and I can't stress this enough. I got really good grades with quite minimal effort if I'm being completely honest, and I'm not a genius or anything!
I mean, every single person in this country sits their GCSEs, and it's very simple to get decent grades if you work a decent amount! Everyone I know looks back at their GCSEs and asks themselves what the fuss was!

All you need to do for most subjects is understand the concepts. Understand how it all works. That's why you need to listen in lessons and if you don't understand, you have to go to your teacher for them to teach you until you get it! GCSE level work is not hard when you look into it, it's just quite scary because it feels like so much!

I could also advise that you start doing one practice paper per week, in whatever subject you want, then hand it in to your teachers to mark it and check your progress. It's really not a lot but it will help you in the long-run.
Not to mention, you don't need all 9s and 8s like you see with some people. Unless you plan to apply to Oxbridge, then your GCSEs are really not that important, A Levels are muuuuuch more important.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads