Parents are refusing to acknowledge that I simply cannot get into LSE

Watch
Waleed Elnaim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I'm predicted an AAA, and my parents want me to apply to LSE's law LLB program, which has minimum entry requirements of A*AA, as well as at least a 6 in GCSE English Language, where I got a 5. They say there's no harm in applying but there is... LSE requires you to sit the LNAT and that costs £50. Why should I apply to a University that is simply not going to accept me as I don't meet their minimum requirements and lose out on 50 quid? How can I make them understand this?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Waleed Elnaim)
So I'm predicted an AAA, and my parents want me to apply to LSE's law LLB program, which has minimum entry requirements of A*AA, as well as at least a 6 in GCSE English Language, where I got a 5. They say there's no harm in applying but there is... LSE requires you to sit the LNAT and that costs £50. Why should I apply to a University that is simply not going to accept me as I don't meet their minimum requirements and lose out on 50 quid? How can I make them understand this?
If you sit the LNAT, it won’t just be for applying to LSE. You will be able to apply to many other universities depending on the result.

As for LSE, do you even want to go or are your parents forcing you?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ask you Head of Year or someone similar at school to phone them.
They are trying to be ambitious for you thats all - and just dont understand how competitive LSE actually is.
Waleed Elnaim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
If you sit the LNAT, it won’t just be for applying to LSE. You will be able to apply to many other universities depending on the result.

As for LSE, do you even want to go or are your parents forcing you?
All the other universities that sit the LNAT bar Bristol and Nottingham have A*AA minimum requirements, which I'm not predicted. just gonna reject me too, and in terms of going to LSE, no, I'm being forced. all they're looking at are the league tables and the acceptance rate and I keep telling them that's not the only indication and they just keep ignoring me:/
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
All the other universities that sit the LNAT bar Bristol and Nottingham have A*AA minimum requirements, which I'm not predicted. just gonna reject me too, and in terms of going to LSE, no, I'm being forced. all they're looking at are the league tables and the acceptance rate and I keep telling them that's not the only indication and they just keep ignoring me:/
I'm sorry to hear that. I would recommend looking at universities with lower entry requirements and perhaps keep 1 university as an aspirational. As you say your predicted grades are AAA, perhaps look at universities with AAB/ABB entry requirements too just to be on the safe side.

As for LSE, if you don't want to apply there, don't. Your parents will come around.

Good luck for your LNAT if you do take it.
bacter1a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't bother applying somewhere you don't want to go! Just go with what you want to apply for
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tell them you’re not gonna apply cos it costs £50 and hopefully they’ll stump up the cash. If they, just apply there to shut them up. It’s just one of your six on the ucas form anyway. And if u get rejected, you aren’t £50 out of pocket and u can say: “i told you so”. Nothing to lose if they pay the £50.
lucypaulman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why should you care what your parents think?

And by the way even though you're predicted AAA you'll most definitely get offers from places requiring A*AA. Getting offers is pretty easy to be honest, it's a buyers market for the students (unis are desperate for students, most are generous with offers).
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If they have a minimum requirement of a 6 in English and you have a 5, you already do not meet their requirements. End of story. Please point this salient fact out to your parents.

You need to go to a uni where you are comfortable. It’s you who will be going there, not your parents.

I wish parents would not meddle sometimes
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
er. they may well be right? you don't know fir sure that LSE will decline you. No harm in trying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.28%
I'm not sure (8)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.22%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (137)
45.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed