Amina25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I recently changed my mind about appkying to medicine and instead decided to try and apply for maths.Unfortunately my teachers already gave me my predicted grades without us sitting our end of year 12 exams so they were based off class tests before quarantine. I have AABB predicted, the two As being in maths and further maths and the two Bs being in chemistry and biology. The unis i want to apply to all have a minimum AAA entry requirement so now im stuck on what to do(((( someone help pls
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Many universities will offer AAA but actually accept lower. Where are you looking at. What area of the UK are you looking to study. The likes of Exeter, Lancaster, Cardiff, Swansea and Aberystwyth are all likely to accept you on those grades. Why are you talking 4 A levels. Universities only offer 3.Give yourself a better chance of getting 3 A grades by dropping one of the non Maths subjects.
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Work harder and get the A’s? Or drop a subject and chill out more and get the A? Or just accept you have to go to a lower ranked uni with AAB grades?
Amina25
Rep:
?
I intend to get the As and A*s but my concern is my predicted grades as those are the grades I need to get an interview . Would drop a subject but I’m starting to like the content on all my subjects and am doing a lot better in the sciences .
Amina25
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Many universities will offer AAA but actually accept lower. Where are you looking at. What area of the UK are you looking to study. The likes of Exeter, Lancaster, Cardiff, Swansea and Aberystwyth are all likely to accept you on those grades. Why are you talking 4 A levels. Universities only offer 3.Give yourself a better chance of getting 3 A grades by dropping one of the non Maths subjects.
I’m taking four because I was unsure of whether I wanted to apply for medicine or maths. I would drop one but I’m starting to enjoy all my subjects and am getting better at them . My predicted were based off my first term mocks and mini tests from September to March , a time where I didn’t rlly adjust to a levels properly . I live in London so I wanted to apply to a London uni , and also Nottingham or Manchester .
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amina25)
I’m taking four because I was unsure of whether I wanted to apply for medicine or maths. I would drop one but I’m starting to enjoy all my subjects and am getting better at them . My predicted were based off my first term mocks and mini tests from September to March , a time where I didn’t rlly adjust to a levels properly . I live in London so I wanted to apply to a London uni , and also Nottingham or Manchester .
Taking 4 risks spreading your time too thinly. Sometimes people taking 4 find this leads to missing grades so think on it. Universities other than a couple of top universities look at only 3 subjects.

As far as London universities you will find Imperial is out of range and possibly UCL as well. Kings will be worth trying. Other than that there arent really any top universities in London although Royal Holloway might be worth looking at.

Nottingham might be difficult to get into but there are many very good universities who will accept you with AAB including Further Maths.

Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle, Lancaster, Sheffield, Leeds,East Anglia are all very good universities who will accept AAB.

One of the issues you need to decide is the type of Maths you want to study. For example Lancaster dont offer mechanics but are excellent for stats.
Amina25
Rep:
?
Thank you so much I found this very helpful I’ll look into these unis .😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.62%
I'm not sure (54)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.16%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (576)
48.69%

Watched Threads