TO STUDY MECINE AT UNI AS A 3rd A LEVEL option FRench or politics

Watch
FShaba1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi , I currently just started year 12 and as my options took : Chemistry, Biology and French ; with the intent of studying medicine in the future. However, since the 1st day I was doubting my choice of taking french . I was really good at french at GCSE . Being italian , I was able to see the similarities between the two languages and pick up fast getting a good grade despite; the fact that for half of the year we had no teacher . French was my escape from harder subjects such as maths , science and english which had heavier content .

Hower now in A level, due to lack of revision throughout the covid lockdown half of my french is gone. The difference between GCSE and A level french is broad and although I do like the language I find myself not being engaged in lesson and having to redo or remember the lesson in class.

As for politics I always thought that in A level I would try something new. Not having done my GCSEs however I don't know where I stand . As I was told that this subject would include a lot of essays and analysing . I got an 8 in french (excluding the speaking exam) and a 7 and 6 in english lit and lan at GCSE .

I do enjoy french but I don't know if I should try something different . ALSO, to study medicine I need all As ; what do suggest I should do ?????

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!! need answers b4 the end of this weekend
Last edited by FShaba1; 7 months ago
katiegsu5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi there, i think your best bet is with french I’m afraid. In comparison to politics it’s deemed more acceptable in a way i guess (I’m regards to applying to medicine ofc.) Personally I think you have a much better chance applying with bio, chem and french. It’s a much better combination. Doing french as a third alevel for medicine isn’t very common, although that’s not to say you won’t get in!! However doing french won’t put you at a huge disadvantage, it’s just not a common choice for medical applicants!! Hope this helps!!
Last edited by katiegsu5; 7 months ago
Riyans
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi!

I did the exact combination of A-levels you are taking and ended up receiving 4 offers for Medicine when I applied.

Just like you I also am Italian and found that the similarities between the two Latin languages helped to further my understanding of French grammar and language as a whole- I ended up getting an A* in A-level French.

I think if you really enjoy French as a language and are willing to put in the time in order to further your understanding of French outside of lessons (TV shows!!!) then I think it's so worth it. I also think it was an escape lesson for me and didn't find it as intense as the sciences.

If you're worried about medicine schools looking down on French, then I wouldn't worry at all, if anything they would be quite impressed that you could be trilingual. As long as you're not taking a soft subject like classical studies they really don't mind what your third option is.
Last edited by Riyans; 7 months ago
FShaba1
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegsu5)
Hi there, i think your best bet is with french I’m afraid. In comparison to politics it’s deemed more acceptable in a way i guess (I’m regards to applying to medicine ofc.) Personally I think you have a much better chance applying with bio, chem and french. It’s a much better combination. Doing french as a third alevel for medicine isn’t very common, although that’s not to say you won’t get in!! However doing french won’t put you at a huge disadvantage, it’s just not a common choice for medical applicants!! Hope this helps!!
(Original post by Riyans)
Hi!

I did the exact combination of A-levels you are taking and ended up receiving 4 offers for Medicine when I applied.

Just like you I also am Italian and found that the similarities between the two Latin languages helped to further my understanding of French grammar and language as a whole- I ended up getting an A* in A-level French.

I think if you really enjoy French as a language and are willing to put in the time in order to further your understanding of French outside of lessons (TV shows!!!) then I think it's so worth it. I also think it was an escape lesson for me and didn't find it as intense as the sciences.

If you're worried about medicine schools looking down on French, then I wouldn't worry at all, if anything they would be quite impressed that you could be trilingual. As long as you're not taking a soft subject like classical studies they really don't mind what your third option is.
thank you so much 😊
FShaba1
Rep:
?
Hi!

thank you so much I will take all you've said into consideration😊 when making my decision
FShaba1
Rep:
?
Hi!

thank you so much I will take all you've said into consideration😊 when making my decision
FShaba1
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiegsu5)
thank you so much when making my decision I will listen to what you said
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
11.01%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (72)
66.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.84%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
8.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
1.83%

Watched Threads