STAR Technique? (for Economics/Finance/Accountancy roles)

Watch
username5367298
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Last edited by username5367298; 3 weeks ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
STAR isn't the formula for ever question. STAR is a framework to answer questions that basically ask 'Tell us a time when you .....' ie something that asks specifically for an example of you using a relevant skill.

The second one, for an entry level graduate role, almost certainly has to be about how you managed the most hectic period you had at Uni. It's just asking about your organisation and how you manage high tempo work and deliver to a deadline. STAR would work here

The third one is asking about a time you influenced people, could be something as simple as convincing a sports team to change league, or enter a competition. Again, its amenable to STAR.

So the first question is not amenable to the STAR format. You have to take some knowledge you have (data analysis using economic tools) and demonstrate how you would present it to a specific category of person (senior stakeholders) to achieve/influence some specific outcome (future policy).

There's no good just looking at your life randomly for examples. What you have to start with is the skills employers want to know about, and the cluse for that are in the job advert/recruitment website. So the job that asked those questions clearly wanted 3 things - someone who can deliver data analysis to senior people, someone who can organise their life to juggle multiple priorities and still meet deadlines and someone who works well in a team and can perhaps influence people outside the team. Read enough job adverts and you will see a regular pattern of skills and you need to prepare examples for each that you can draw on in interview.
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As mentioned above, STAR is just a handy technique for figuring out how you will describe and display your experiences. I tend to have my achievements in a spreadsheet in STAR format, with final column for an extra S representing SUMMARY. Here I'll bring the STAR boxes together into a paragraph or so in my own words describing the whole thing. That's how I then bring it to bear in the interview, if asked or appropriate.

Threeportdrift has covered the questions bit in pretty much the same way I intended to. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs, just make sure you analyze the advert and understand what it's telling and asking you

The skills and attitudes that got you through your degree to a successful conclusion are the ones you now need to show to an employer as being the reason you will be a cracking employee
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Then you need to be more dynamic and effective as a person. If you've never had to plan multiple events and deliver to deadlines, and if you've never influenced people in even the smallest useful way, then you aren't making yourself employable in any sort of graduate, leadership potential role.

Reverse the question - what if I say - "you've never had to organise yourself to meet multiple deadlines in your life". If you can't defend that statement, you are punting for jobs that are beyond you - if you can defend that statement - then there is your evidence! You might even find better examples that just Uni work, which is pretty basic.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not condescending, it's about realising you are entering a competition, and you have to think about your experiences differently. If you are a graduate, you probably have the skills, but you have to learn to re-frame them in the way the employer is asking for. A technique to do that, if you are struggling to answer a standard question, is to reverse it, and see it as a challenge. Can you defend the challenge that you haven't got those skills?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads