The Student Room Group

Lying about having a degree.Is it Possible?

A Friend of mine didnโ€™t go to uni, but obviously to get a good salary, you need to have a degree at a minimum. He wants to lie on his CV about having one, he would say he has a degree from London South Bank University for Media Studies for example.

Whatโ€™s the chances of getting caught. I told him he is deluded, as what will he do when student loans come into play, and the employer realises heโ€™s not paying any money back for his fake degree.

But i was wondering is it possible to lie about having one. I want to lie about going to a more higher ranked uni than i went to. But i wouldnโ€™t do if there was a high chance of being caught out
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your "friend" will get caught out eventually. Employers will usually ask for a degree certificate or transcript at the minimum. And failing that they might require references from a personal tutor or dissertation supervisor. In short, that's a very stupid thing for your "friend" to attempt. He should have just gone to university.
Original post by Ty457
A Friend of mine didnโ€™t go to uni, but obviously to get a good salary, you need to have a degree at a minimum. =

I mean, this isn't true.

It's not a good idea. You most likely won't get away with it if it's a job that requires you to have gone to university. Plus lying like this is just not a good idea.
Reply 3
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Your "friend" will get caught out eventually. Employers will usually ask for a degree certificate or transcript at the minimum. And failing that they might require references from a personal tutor or dissertation supervisor. In short, that's a very stupid thing for your "friend" to attempt. He should have just gone to university.

Iโ€™m sure he can fake a degree certificate. He has friends and family who went uni recently to ensure itโ€™s realistic
Original post by Ty457
Iโ€™m sure he can fake a degree certificate. He has friends and family who went uni recently to ensure itโ€™s realistic

It's still stupid as you would also have to fake a transcript, many of which have a watermarked or hologram insignia of the university that is very difficult to fake, as well as possibly requiring references. Just don't do it, all it takes is one person to verify to find you're a fraud. And you will then need their references to find your next job, and they will obviously expose you and that's your career over. Just go to uni and get a legitimate degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ty457

These days they tend to have holograms and security protection. They may want a reference from a tutor as well - good way to get a criminal record.
your friend sounds like the kind of person who, degree or not, won't be very successful in life.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr T 999
You can get a away with it just like it's possible to get away with lots of things. There are many websites that print realistic looking fake degrees. You can always claim you paid for your degree outright so no student loans. If you apply for jobs in small or medium size companies they are less likely to verify your degree and check transcripts etc... Compared with a larger company who have the resources and time to do all these checks.

You can pay for a undergraduate degree outright ? Iโ€™ve never seen that. I though only governments loans or bursaries/scholarships from Uniโ€™s weโ€™re the only way to pay
Original post by Ty457
You can pay for a undergraduate degree outright ? Iโ€™ve never seen that. I though only governments loans or bursaries/scholarships from Uniโ€™s weโ€™re the only way to pay

Yes, if your rich and can afford it.
Reply 9
It's still stupid as you would also have to fake a transcript, many of which have a watermarked or otherwise insignia of the university that is very difficult to fake, as well as possibly requiring references. Just don't do it, all it takes is one person to verify to find you're a fraud. And you will then need their references to find your next job, and they will obviously expose you and that's your career over. Just go to uni and get a legitimate degree.

From what heโ€™s read online, half of employers donโ€™t even verify for degreeโ€™s.
Original post by Ty457
From what heโ€™s read online, half of employers donโ€™t even verify for degreeโ€™s.

I think at this point you can quit pretending it's your friend. We all know it's about you. Fine, try it and then regret it when you get a criminal record for fraud and have committed career suicide : )
Reply 11
Original post by Mr T 999
Yes, if your rich and can afford it.

Yes so exactly he will get caught out when the employer asks why he isnโ€™t paying any money back to student loans comoany
Reply 12
I think at this point you can quit pretending it's your friend. We all know it's about you. Fine, try it and then regret it when you get a criminal record for fraud and have committed career suicide : )

No mate, i would happily say if it was me. I really couldnโ€™t care less. It genuinely is my friend. But like iโ€™ve said, he obviously would get caught out, when the employer asks why he isnโ€™t paying any money back to the Student Loans Company
Original post by Ty457
No mate, i would happily say if it was me. I really couldnโ€™t care less. It genuinely is my friend. But like iโ€™ve said, he obviously would get caught out, when the employer asks why he isnโ€™t paying any money back to the Student Loans Company

Not necessarily as they would have no idea about your financial situation and you could claim that your family paid for it, there's no way they'd be able to disprove that. But you would still likely be caught out by the numerous ways already mentioned.
Reply 14
Original post by Ty457
A Friend of mine didnโ€™t go to uni, but obviously to get a good salary, you need to have a degree at a minimum. He wants to lie on his CV about having one, he would say he has a degree from London South Bank University for Media Studies for example.

Whatโ€™s the chances of getting caught. I told him he is deluded, as what will he do when student loans come into play, and the employer realises heโ€™s not paying any money back for his fake degree.

But i was wondering is it possible to lie about having one. I want to lie about going to a more higher ranked uni than i went to. But i wouldnโ€™t do if there was a high chance of being caught out

possible to get away with it, but depending on the job ..he could land himself in jail if it's later found out.
Original post by Ramipril
You and your friend sound like the kind of people who, degree or not, won't be very successful in life.

dude that's pretty savage and unnecessary
Reply 16
maybe for jobs like retail assistant at Primark and if your friend has other references. but the problem is in your interview youโ€™ll probably be asked to talk about your degree. your cover letter usually talks about your degree and your application may require you to talk about your degree. unless your friend is better than Mike Ross from Suits iโ€™d say not worth it.
Original post by adurna11
dude that's pretty savage and unnecessary

I mean if they go through with this, they'll both probably hear it multiple times over.
Give it a few years and you will need a certificate showing you didn't go to University and gain a degree to get a job.๐Ÿค”
Reply 19
Original post by Joleee
maybe for jobs like retail assistant at Primark and if your friend has other references. but the problem is in your interview youโ€™ll probably be asked to talk about your degree. your cover letter usually talks about your degree and your application may require you to talk about your degree. unless your friend is better than Mike Ross from Suits iโ€™d say not worth it.

you don't need a degree to work as a sales assistant in primark lmao

Latest