Beebs123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm three weeks into my PGCE and beginning to feel panicky and overwhelmed. I've got my placement next Thursday which is at a school not too far from me. I was a TA last year until Lockdown/May so I've been looking forward to being back at school and growing as a teacher. However, the evidence folder and assignment reading/ preparation is beginning to stress me out. I'm starting to feel like I'm buried under this massive pile of stuff that I have to do to get organised and make sure I pass the assignment. I can't breathe. We've also been having 6 hours of Zoom lectures most days and sometimes those are being topped off with seminars and independent tasks. I've been taking notes religiously and engaging with all of the tasks throughout the sessions and of course doing the set readings. I just feel like I need more time to sort out my folder and write up the evidence. I currently get around 7 hours of sleep every night and for the first time in years my diet is steady and healthy. I've been going for my grocery shop on foot to build my daily step count in preparation for placement. I've loved everything about my course so far but I feel swamped and exhausted already. If I give myself the evenings off on weekdays, I have to work through the weekend to prepare for the next week. I'm not having time to write up everything that's passed for my folder. Maybe I'll leave it till Christmas break or something? I just know the assignment needs to take priority but man am I knackered already from the intensive subject sessions and professional sessions. Any advice? Can anyone relate? I'm so grateful to even have a placement - half of my cohort didn't get a phase one placement which is so upsetting.
bluebeetle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Beebs123)
I'm three weeks into my PGCE and beginning to feel panicky and overwhelmed. I've got my placement next Thursday which is at a school not too far from me. I was a TA last year until Lockdown/May so I've been looking forward to being back at school and growing as a teacher. However, the evidence folder and assignment reading/ preparation is beginning to stress me out. I'm starting to feel like I'm buried under this massive pile of stuff that I have to do to get organised and make sure I pass the assignment. I can't breathe. We've also been having 6 hours of Zoom lectures most days and sometimes those are being topped off with seminars and independent tasks. I've been taking notes religiously and engaging with all of the tasks throughout the sessions and of course doing the set readings. I just feel like I need more time to sort out my folder and write up the evidence. I currently get around 7 hours of sleep every night and for the first time in years my diet is steady and healthy. I've been going for my grocery shop on foot to build my daily step count in preparation for placement. I've loved everything about my course so far but I feel swamped and exhausted already. If I give myself the evenings off on weekdays, I have to work through the weekend to prepare for the next week. I'm not having time to write up everything that's passed for my folder. Maybe I'll leave it till Christmas break or something? I just know the assignment needs to take priority but man am I knackered already from the intensive subject sessions and professional sessions. Any advice? Can anyone relate? I'm so grateful to even have a placement - half of my cohort didn't get a phase one placement which is so upsetting.
During the PGCE, it's really important to just take things one day at a time, and accept that not everything will be up to your own high standards. Remember, it's basically just a pass/fail course, so even if you have to phone it in on some work and your grade turns out subpar, you're still a qualified teacher at the end of it.

It's totally understandable to be stressed even knowing that though, because it's human nature to want to do well!! I would say that until your placement, try to set yourself strict working hours and don't go beyond them, even if it means some things turn out a bit messy or you're a bit behind on a deadline. When you get to your placement, you might even find it a bit 'easier' in a way, because when you're actually in a school you'll be interacting more with people and you'll be able to have more 'small successes' which are hard to get in uni work which can seem a bit more 'long term'.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Beebs123)
Honestly, if you are knackered now, before placement, then something needs to give.

Most of your evidence for your folder will happen naturally in school. You don't need to be writing constant notes- one weekly reflection will do and you honestly don't need to do that every week. At this stage, very little has happened that will actually be useful evidence, so stop aiming to write everything up! At the end of the year, or whenever is necessary, you will be given time to sort your folder.

Focus on the essential assignments. Anything else (e.g. weekly tasks that don't count towards QTS/PGCE) is a lower priority. One of the key things to realise on the PGCE is that you can't do everything and to focus on what is important.

Are you feeling generally anxious?

Also out of curiosity, what is happening to those who didn't get a placement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads