Walrusin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know this question has been asked before, yet from what I can tell those threads are a few years old so I want to try and see if I can't ask again incase opinions have changed and so as that I can get more personal help/advice.

Earlier in the year I applied to 5 unis to study to,(middlesex,uwe bristol, arts uni bournmouth, leeds becket & gloucstershire) I got conditional and undocnitional offers for these unis, but decided rather last minute to defer instead and chose gloucster as my firm choice.

Though with my year off I'm thinking this was a bad choice and could have chosen the wrong uni. as after looking around I couldn't find much about it. I'm aware that a lot of the best uk unis are located in london, but I'm trying to avoid there as tuition is much higher and not to mention accomidation costs.

tldr: what are some good uni recomondations for film production in the uk, outside of london?

thanks to anyone who read this, I'd appreciate anything you have to say.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Walrusin)
I know this question has been asked before, yet from what I can tell those threads are a few years old so I want to try and see if I can't ask again incase opinions have changed and so as that I can get more personal help/advice.

Earlier in the year I applied to 5 unis to study to,(middlesex,uwe bristol, arts uni bournmouth, leeds becket & gloucstershire) I got conditional and undocnitional offers for these unis, but decided rather last minute to defer instead and chose gloucster as my firm choice.

Though with my year off I'm thinking this was a bad choice and could have chosen the wrong uni. as after looking around I couldn't find much about it. I'm aware that a lot of the best uk unis are located in london, but I'm trying to avoid there as tuition is much higher and not to mention accomidation costs.

tldr: what are some good uni recomondations for film production in the uk, outside of london?

Hi Walrusin

We have a range of Film and Media Studies degrees here at Hull - https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/sub...-media-studies

These courses include:
Film Studies
Creative Industries (Media Production)
Creative Writing and Film Studies
Media Production
Media Studies

All of these courses are part of the vibrant School of Arts, with a whole host of creative events throughout the year.

Our programmes are cross-disciplinary, with ties to subjects in American Studies, World Cinema, and Chinese Studies – boosting your employability in a global career market.

Our courses splice together hands-on skill and thought-provoking theory. You can train in the practical side of film-making while developing a deeper understanding of cinematic history and culture.

You'll reap the benefits of our professional quality facilities including a world-class £9.5 million digital cinema and concert venue, and access to our dedicated on-campus TV, film and digital media facilities.

If any of these courses sound of interest to you, we have a series of virtual open days coming up. Details can be found on the website-
https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s...t-us/open-days

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Middlesex University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi, my name is Alex and I am ambassador at Middlesex.

Our Film course brings together the theoretical and the practical to give you everything you need to start a career in this diverse industry. You’ll get to explore all the stages of the film-making process, covering a range of production roles, conception and development, post-production, script writing, cinematography, and direction. The purpose-built £80 million Grove building on our north London campus houses all the facilities, studios, and workshops you’ll use during your studies and is recognised as one of the best in the country. The facilities you’ll be able to use include Avid Media Composer Edit Suites, Dedicated Recording Studio, Motion Capture Suite, Greenscreen Virtual Studio.You’ll be taught by staff working in the film industry, with professional experience across a range of different aspect of film. This includes producers, directors, screenwriters, and more, with backgrounds covering everything from experimental film-making through to corporate film. During your time with us, you’ll learn from guest speakers. Past speakers include Ben Wheatley (Kill List, High-Rise, Doctor Who), Kim Longinotto (Divorce Iranian Style), Sean McAllister (A Syrian Love Story). You can read more about this course and chek out facilities here: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/film

I personally don't study Film but our Art Building and all facilities for Film course are great. Middlesex provide support with anything you need. I believe it is the best decision I've chosen Middlesex. I advise you to write to my friend Emily, who is Course Ambassador for Film and ask her more questions. Use this link and scroll down the page: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/get-in-touch/m...rience/film-tv

I hope it helps. Best, Alex
Thenorthern
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey!

It's a good idea to do further research in to different institutions and to have a look at different open days too, this will ensure you're making the right choice when it comes to applying

If you'd like an art school based in the North East of England we have a great Film course!
https://northernart.ac.uk/study-with...-production-2/

We offer courses in Set Design, Costume and Acting too so it's a great environment for a film maker

Have a look around and do some research, but if you have any questions get in touch!

Katt, Student Recruitment Officer
https://northernart.ac.uk/
University of South Wales
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Thenorthern)
Hey!

It's a good idea to do further research in to different institutions and to have a look at different open days too, this will ensure you're making the right choice when it comes to applying

If you'd like an art school based in the North East of England we have a great Film course!
https://northernart.ac.uk/study-with...-production-2/

We offer courses in Set Design, Costume and Acting too so it's a great environment for a film maker

Have a look around and do some research, but if you have any questions get in touch!

Katt, Student Recruitment Officer
https://northernart.ac.uk/

Hi Walrusin, if you still haven't found a university, below are some details about our BA (Film) Course, and information about the TV and Film School of Wales, we are based in central Cardiff. Please do let me know if you have any questions. - happy researching! Rebecca

https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-film/
https://www.southwales.ac.uk/filmschool/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed