GCSE History vs GCSE Ancient History

Watch this thread
HAMILTON123457
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not sure what to take, at my school we have both. The GCSE History course is a lot of history of medicine which I'm not interested in, however I feel History is more respected
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
i wouldn't care too much about which of your subjects are more rejected, take the one you're more interested in as it's the grade you achieve that's more important
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
HISTORY
PROS
- Standard test, so relatively well respected
- History of medicine is quite easy to waffle (at least the history of medicine bit that I did for my course was)
- Easy to find revision resources for which is helpful when it comes to exam time or you don't understand something
CONS
- Lots of longer answers
- A larger amount of content you have to learn than other subjects (don't know about ancient history)

ANCIENT HISTORY
PROS
- Different than most normal subjects but still quite academic
- Content is easy to learn if you are interested in the subject and the content with vary to less extremes than normal history
CONS
- Not as many online resources

- Less directly related careers than history

I personally did history as my school didn't offer ancient history (so I took Latin instead lol) which is why I haven't been able to comment on the exam structure as much for ancient history. Personally I would take ancient history as that interests me more, but at the end of the day you need to take what interests you more and not what some random people on the internet say. If you are struggling making a decision, I would suggest making a pros and cons list like I did above to compare your arguments. Sorry for the long answer!
ScoutLeopard
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
. Sorry for the long answer!

(Original post by HAMILTON123457)
I'm not sure what to take, at my school we have both. The GCSE History course is a lot of history of medicine which I'm not interested in, however I feel History is more respected
HISTORY

PROS
- History of medicine is quite easy to waffle (at least the history of medicine bit that I did for my course was)
- Easy to find revision resources for which is helpful when it comes to exam time or you don't understand something

CONS
- Lots of longer answers
- Tight exams
- A larger amount of content you have to learn than other subjects (don't know about ancient history)

ANCIENT HISTORY

PROS
- Content is easy to learn if you are interested in the subject and the content with vary to less extremes than normal history
CONS

I personally did history as my school didn't offer ancient history (so I took Latin instead lol) which is why I haven't been able to comment on the exam structure as much for ancient history. Personally I would take ancient history as that interests me more, but at the end of the day you need to take what interests you more and not what some random people on the internet say. If you are struggling making a decision, I would suggest making a pros and cons list like I did above to compare your arguments
ScoutLeopard
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
. Sorry for the long answer!

(Original post by HAMILTON123457)
HISTORY

PROS

CONS
- Lots of longer answers
- Tight exams

ANCIENT HISTORY

PROS
CONS

I personally did history as my school didn't offer ancient history (so I took Latin instead lol) which is why I haven't been able to comment on the exam structure as much for ancient history. Personally I would take ancient history as that interests me more, but at the end of the day you need to take what interests you more and not what some random people on the internet say. If you are struggling making a decision, I would suggest making a pros and cons list like I did above to compare your arguments
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads