shren17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Can anyone explain the A01 of duress of circumstances and necessity? As well as the evaluation. I'm finding it difficult to understand the concept.
Last edited by shren17; 6 months ago
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by shren17)
Can anyone explain the A01 of duress of circumstances and necessity? As well as the evaluation. I'm finding it difficult to understand the concept.
Duress of circumstances is almost identical to the traditional defence of duress (by threats), so the principles for the latter are relevant. The only difference is that threat comes from a circumstance.

1. The accused must have reasonably believed that the circumstances posed a threat of death or serious harm
AND
2. The accused's will must have been overborne (whilst showing reasonable steadfastness), causing him/her to commit the offence.

Duress by circumstances cannot be pleaded to a charge of murder (and related offences, such as attempt) or treason.

The defence of necessity is a more complicated matter, and is not as well-defined. It is often confused with duress by circumstances, but the rules are different.

Simply put, it is a balancing test. Is the evil inflicted by the commission of the offence less than the evil that would have resulted if the accused had not acted? Because of its potentially wide scope (see for example Southwark London Borough v Williams ), it is only permitted when the facts are truly exceptional. Generally the requirements are as follows:

1. The Act is needed to avoid inevitable and irreparable evil
2. No more should be done than reasonably necessary
3. The evil inflicted by the Act should not be disproportionate to the evil avoided.

Duress of Circumstances v Necessity

It may be useful to quickly outline the major differences between the two defences.

1. Necessity is not limited to a threat of death or serious injury. It is available in other circumstances - see F v West Berkshire Authority where forced sterilization by a hospital was protected by the necessity defence in order to stop a psychiatric patient from becoming pregnant.

2. Necessity can be a defence to murder (see Re A)
shren17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank You soo much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (453)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (426)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.08%
Loneliness (263)
8.59%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.46%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.38%

Watched Threads