Lashby537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hey!! i’m in year 13 and currently finalising what i want to do for uni so i can write my personal statement - i’m torn between talking politics and taking sociology at uni - i think i would prefer the course content of politics and i like the idea of it being more academically challenging, but i am currently predicted a*ab, meaning i have way more of a likelihood to get into top unis if i apply for sociology compared to if i applied for politics i believe, because the entry requirements tend to be lower with higher acceptance rates. i’ve also looked at combined politics and sociology degrees but i’m worried about jobs afterwards because of it being too broad, i’ve also considered social sciences at places like kings. if anyone has any advice about either degree please let me know because i’m currently so torn!!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lashby537)
hey!! i’m in year 13 and currently finalising what i want to do for uni so i can write my personal statement - i’m torn between talking politics and taking sociology at uni - i think i would prefer the course content of politics and i like the idea of it being more academically challenging, but i am currently predicted a*ab, meaning i have way more of a likelihood to get into top unis if i apply for sociology compared to if i applied for politics i believe, because the entry requirements tend to be lower with higher acceptance rates. i’ve also looked at combined politics and sociology degrees but i’m worried about jobs afterwards because of it being too broad, i’ve also considered social sciences at places like kings. if anyone has any advice about either degree please let me know because i’m currently so torn!!
Hey! I'm currently in my second year doing a degree in Social and Political Sciences (SPS) at York and I absolutely love my degree. Originally, I intended to study History and Politics but changed my mind. SPS is a very broad degree at York but at the same time, it's definitely academically stimulating and graduates of SPS have either gone onto further study or straight into the job market working for various companies in different sectors. Combined politics and sociology sounds like a good option for you if you're torn between the two subjects and you can always transfer over to a similar course if things don't work out. A word of caution on that, you'll have to liaise with the subject department and go from there. Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads