The Student Room Group

Anyone actually satisfied with there UK uni pandemic start...

Scroll to see replies

Personally i've had an amazing start to my course. But I'm not representative of most students, because I have always distance-learned my courses. For me all that's happeend is that universities who were previously awful at running any form of online education/service have gotten better.

Compare my PHD start this year, where all of the induction workshops and lectures are online, all department social activities are online, resources have all been digitized etc, I can ask questions and communciate really well through teams/zoom... to my Master's where all I got were a few badly-recorded lectures and an awfully managed moodle page...

So for the small minority of distance learning students like myself - things have actually gotten better. I'll miss it when life returns to normal and everything that I can take part in now goes back in person and I miss out on it.

Not that I'd ever wish that to happen though, because for every 1 of me there are thousands of in person students who are not getting anywhere near what they should be. Especially undergrads, I feel really sorry for them.
I'm not buying it really. Restrictions are BS and make absolutely no sense. At one point I hoped that everything snaps back to normal but that ain't happening at any chance.
Reply 42
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Responsibility for what exactly?

The UK government not getting track and trace in order all summer vacation... Or rather the inability to provide tests without people traveling hundreds of miles from home spreading the rona.

Such an unbalanced and one sided statement, let's blame the 18 yr olds for wanting to bond....

At a time of Covid, everyone including students has to act like responsible adults not as demanding children who want to play play play. Being an adult means giving up play activities for a greater benefit.

If our government is making a mess it still doesn't give you the right to be irresponsible and have parties that might spread the virus. How can that work?

Your need for "bonding" and entertainment is going to have to take a back seat while there's a crisis. Sorry about that. Surely you can wait until after the winter has passed when the virus is predicted to be at its worst. Treat this pandemic as a passage to adulthood.
im doing a research masters so its pretty much 100% face to face.

no changes for me.
I mean it’s not great, but everyone’s in the same boat I guess! The worst thing is trying to make friends with people on your course when you’ve literally never seen them and then you can’t try and meet them because your whole flat is isolated
Original post by AhmedThe22nd
I'm not buying it really. Restrictions are BS and make absolutely no sense. At one point I hoped that everything snaps back to normal but that ain't happening at any chance.

As a masters student, I agree! They have very arbitrary scientific backing.
Original post by Alstoo
At a time of Covid, everyone including students has to act like responsible adults not as demanding children who want to play play play. Being an adult means giving up play activities for a greater benefit.

If our government is making a mess it still doesn't give you the right to be irresponsible and have parties that might spread the virus. How can that work?

Your need for "bonding" and entertainment is going to have to take a back seat while there's a crisis. Sorry about that. Surely you can wait until after the winter has passed when the virus is predicted to be at its worst. Treat this pandemic as a passage to adulthood.

Right, so the government gets to.... Sleep on testing all summer, gets to begin stockpiling PPE, gets to call Sweden beforehand on how to avoid lockdown.... 😂 😂 😂 Your not serious.

If you want the young to follow show leadership show clarity.

Don't cringe them into contracts for student accommodation and then turn them into quarantine units, enforcing excessive fines and rules, no one has heard of prior and fits zero with the promise of university culture from 0-17.
Reply 47
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I'm sure your at a more cracking place in those terms!

Well as you know, I'm not usually overly concerned about rankings and stuff. Nevertheless, I am currently at Oxford, so my main hope outside of the qualification is to make connections and maybe pinch a few dashes of inspiration, ha
Original post by confuseduser
As a masters student, I agree! They have very arbitrary scientific backing.

Borris Johnson has no clue what to do, he just puts regulations that's suits him and not the people.
Original post by gjd800
Well as you know, I'm not usually overly concerned about rankings and stuff. Nevertheless, I am currently at Oxford, so my main hope outside of the qualification is to make connections and maybe pinch a few dashes of inspiration, ha

Brilliant! Hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending