Do I have a chance applying for a PhD at Cambridge?

Watch
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So by the time I apply (next couple of months) I shall have the following:

BSc Genetics and Molecular Biology - 1st - Low tier Uni (bottom 3rd)

MSc Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics - Distinction - Top 20 Uni. I scored 85% on my MSc dissertation for context of research capabilities.

A year working in a COVID diagnostic laboratory post-MSc

On grades and experience alone, would I be a strong candidate to the PhD programmes in the genetics and molecular biology fields at Cambridge in a research council funded PhD.
Grizwuld
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Certainly a chance.

Probably best if you started researching the people and place you will be applying to.

Do you fully understand the process that will be used in your case?

You have a subject(s) for research and a compelling case to put forward?
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
So by the time I apply (next couple of months) I shall have the following:

BSc Genetics and Molecular Biology - 1st - Low tier Uni (bottom 3rd)

MSc Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics - Distinction - Top 20 Uni. I scored 85% on my MSc dissertation for context of research capabilities.

A year working in a COVID diagnostic laboratory post-MSc

On grades and experience alone, would I be a strong candidate to the PhD programmes in the genetics and molecular biology fields at Cambridge in a research council funded PhD.
As Grizwuld says, it's certainly worth applying! Your BSc and MSc grades and your work experience certainly show applied experience in the right field, as well as a great academic track record. Do bear in mind however that grades and experience are only a part of a PhD application.

You don't mention in your post whether you already have a PhD programme in mind, or will be applying for funding based on your own research topic. If the former, you'll probably need to write some form of personal statement/application letter to demonstrate that the skills and experience you have gained make you the ideal candidate for carrying out that particular PhD. If it's the latter, you need to ensure that your proposal identifies a clear gap in existing research and makes a compelling case as to why should be the one to address that gap - and you'll probably need to identify a supervisor (or supervisors) to support you in your project. These documents are, in my experience, as - if not more - important than your academic track record and experience to date when it comes to obtaining a funded PhD place at any university.

As Grizwuld has already said, a good next step would probably be to begin identifying and approaching potential supervisors at Cambridge (or approaching the lead researcher if you're targeting an already funded programme/place) who could support your research and will be able to assist you in explaining the application process, drafting your application, refining your research topic etc.

Good luck with the application!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads