Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've just started year 12 and I'm a little confused as to how AS-Levels work
when do we sit them? and do we get qualifications for them just like a-levels?
if I fail 1/3 of my as-levels, does that mean I will have to drop that subject and pick something else to study at A2?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've just started year 12 and I'm a little confused as to how AS-Levels work
when do we sit them? and do we get qualifications for them just like a-levels?
if I fail 1/3 of my as-levels, does that mean I will have to drop that subject and pick something else to study at A2?
Yes theres are exams at the end of the year, sat roughly when the A2 exams are sat.
Yes you get a certificate.
If you fail one then you can still proceed, but you can also sit AS and A2 in the same period.
You really need 3 A levels for uni.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm assuming you are in England - if you're not then little of this is true.

An AS level covers the work you do in the first half of an A level (i.e. generally Year 12) but not many schools enter students for official AS level exams because there's little point if you're going to do the A level exam in the same subject the following year (and schools can't afford the entry fees to so little purpose). However, schools generally do have internal end of Year 12 exams which will cover the AS content. What happens if you do badly in those depends on your school but if you do drop a subject you couldn't start a new one in Year 13 on Year 13 content (what you are calling A2) - you'd have to pick it up at the start of the AS/A level, probably in a Year 12 class and just take the actual AS exam at the end of Year 13, leaving you with 2 A levels and an AS.
apolaroidofus
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
999tigger's answer is right but you won't necessarily sit AS-levels. Before A-levels were reformed you would sit AS exams at the end of year 12 which would count towards your overall grade. They are no longer modular, so people only tend to sit AS exams now if they're not continuing the subject to A2. So yes AS levels are qualifications but you won't necessarily get them (there's no point now that they count towards nothing). If you fail your end of year exams, whether you have to switch courses will vary depending on your college/teacher. At my college, those who fail year 12 biology have to retake the year (and either redo biology or change it to something else) and those who show absolutely no care throughout the year get kicked out. Other subjects will let you stay on at my college if you fail the year, and just hope that you can pull it out the bag in year 13. I suggest you ask your school to find out whether they make you sit AS exams and what will happen if you fail these
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (162)
59.78%
I don't have everything I need (109)
40.22%

Watched Threads