The Heskey Thread Watch

filastini
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _MaLc_)
How'd you figure that one out?
Cos Crouch didn't appear on the cover of any football games or do any Nike adverts :awesome:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by farhan)
Yo it was just a bad example no need to lose sleep over it

Bottom line is player B got picked and he is the best for his country
Player A should still play ahead of player B. If player A scores 100 goals compared to no goals for club then he is obviously the better player. The manager just needs to play him where he can match his club form, obviously.
Panthalic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
It is still Güiza however you dress it up. And Crouch is England's 3rd best striker, at most.
Wasn't your point that ability means more than goals and therefore Torres would be your choice as he has more ability as opposed to Güiza having more international goals?
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MrPhil)
Doesn't make him a superior player though. That's what I'm getting at. Crouch should be in the squad because he's performed best up front for England in the past two years - doesn't mean he has more ability than Rooney and Owen (who would surely have scored more if he wasn't injured so often).
Makes him a far better striker though. If you're trying not to hurt their feelings, don't worry, they aren't here
v1oXx-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Team I'd use tonight (Dunno if Richards is in the squad though):

--------Crouch------Heskey--------
------------------------------------
Cole-----Lampard----Barry-----Bentley-
---------------------------------------
Cole------Terry----Ferdinand----Richards
----------------------------------------
---------------James------------------

Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Panthalic)
Wasn't your point that ability means more than goals and therefore Torres would be your choice as he has more ability as opposed to Güiza having more international goals?
David Villa beats them both so the comparison is irrelevant.
_Mazza_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It all depends on the situation.

If I wanted a striker who can beat a defender one on one I'd probably pick Rooney over Crouch.

But, if I wanted a striker who can get the ball into the net from corners and crosses I'd pick Crouch because that is what he does best.

I think England would do well with Rooney feeding the ball through to either Crouch or Owen, or even both. Owen is better on the ball than Crouch, but he's only 5'8 so wouldn't be as good from corners competing for the ball against tall defenders.
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Player A should still play ahead of player B. If player A scores 100 goals compared to no goals for club then he is obviously the better player. The manager just needs to play him where he can match his club form, obviously.
That's a lot of timewasting to wait for a player to match his club form for his country, rather than playing a player who's already scoring so many for his country

"Yeah hold on Argentina, will you wait for Rooney to play better for us then we'll play you" - Match ends in a win and clean sheet for Argentina

or

"Crouch scores the winner for England against Argentina"
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by v1oXx-)

--------Crouch------Heskey--------
-----------------------------------
Young---------Gerrard---------Cole-
------------------------------------
--------------Tampon----------------
Cole------Terry----Ferdinand----Richards
---------------James------------------

Defo
v1oXx-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's a lot of timewasting to wait for a player to match his club form for his country, rather than playing a player who's already scoring so many for his country

"Yeah hold on Argentina, will you wait for Rooney to play better for us then we'll play you" - Match ends in a win and clean sheet for Argentina

or

Then tbh, Gerrard shouldn't play for England.
CJ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mkay. England have an outside chance of actually being world class, however impossible the thought is at present. We always have a chance once we get to tournaments, and we all know in the back of our minds we could do it. It's not like a Wales/Scotland/(N.)Ireland situation where there's actually very very little chance to get anywhere...

Now, yes, Peter Crouch has scored goals against the giants of:
Spoiler:
Show

Croatia
Austria
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra
Greece
Trinidad & Tobago
Jamaica
Hungary
Uruguay

Yet was deemed not good enough for Liverpool and CL football. You think such a player would therefore be right in amongst the goals when we hit the big time and come up against some of the worlds best defensive minds?
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
David Villa beats them both so the comparison is irrelevant.
Jeez, it was just an example :donut:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

or

What if player B scored all his goals against 3rd world countries and player A scored against Argentina in 2006 when we won the game? :rolleyes: Without scoring any goals for club in the time someone else scored 100 goals, player B wouldn't have a job :laugh:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _MaLc_)
Defoe
In place of Crouch :yep:
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by <CJ>)
Now, yes, Peter Crouch has scored goals against the giants of:
Spoiler:
Show

Croatia
Austria
Estonia
Macedonia
Andorra
Greece
Trinidad & Tobago
Jamaica
Hungary
Uruguay
Rooney should've scored, let alone out-scored Crouch in those games?

I think if Crouch was given the chance to play more games against the bigger sides, we could've found out. I don't think there's much more you can do than to score against the smaller teams to earn the chance against the bigger teams, yes?

And the reason why Crouch didn't play much last season for Liverpool is because of the change of formation because there was no place for him in a 4-2-3-1.

But the fact that he was the second-top scorer in the Champions League the season before when he was playing - shows something, right?
Panthalic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been lied to, this thread isn't about Heskey at all!
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Crouch and Rooney are different types of players anyway. If everyone is fit, Crouch doesn't start for England.
CJ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rooney should've scored, let alone out-scored Crouch in those games??

I think if Crouch was given the chance to play more games against the bigger sides, we could've found out. I don't think there's much more you can do than to score against the smaller teams to earn the chance against the bigger teams, yes?
I dunno. The whole performances were pretty dire from back to front. Service was all over the place and I just think Crouch profited more at the time. Now that changes should be made, i'd expect Capello isn't after that same style of play as was once in place.
That leads onto your next paragraph. Perhaps he could score goals, but to the overall detriment of the whole team. When you have the likes of Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard, the last thing you need is your tall lanky striker dropping short bringing the wholly predictable and desperate high balls in from the immobile Becks. Yeah, he scored goals, but we were on the whole, dire. I'm sure Capello knows this and is why he hasn't had to resort back to those tactics just yet.

And the reason why Crouch didn't play much last season for Liverpool is because of the change of formation because there was no place for him in a 4-2-3-1.

But the fact that he was the second-top scorer in the Champions League the season before when he was playing - shows something, right?
Well yes, it shows something. It clearly tells me that he had the potential to do well at Liverpool but, like Capello, Benitez still saw that change was necessary to move forward. You brought Torres in, because, for the sake of the whole team you knew he would be better even if it meant letting Crouch go after a certain period of time.

I'm not discounting Crouch as an option at all, just not our Plan A.
Danm2501
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The England Squad shouldn't include Heskey, let alone the first XI. The England First XI should be:

Joe Hart

Micah Richards
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole

Ashley Young
Steven Gerrard
Gareth Barry
Joe Cole

Wayne Rooney
Gabriel Agbonlahor

How long until Capello realises we need some real pace in the team. Including the likes of Beckham, Heskey, Crouch, etc in the first team is just ridiculous. Michael Owen's well passed it, he's lost the pace that was once his main weapon, and now relies on his movement, which frankly isn't good enough to warrant a place in the team, he's also massively injury prone. Gabi Agbonlahor is a quality player, he's proven it for Villa in the past 2 seasons, and for the England under 21s.

Ashley Young also should be right wing, either him or Bentley anyway. We need some youthful exhuberance in the side, and I think that guys like Richards, Hart, Agbonlahor, Young and Walcott would bring that, and actually make teams fear us. Capello's done nothing since he started the job, he's just using the same players that were given to him by McClaren, and happen to be the same players that even Sven was using in 2006, it's ridiculous. I'm surprised Beckham's still not the captain. We need some new players who are going to want to play for England and make us a winning force. Heskey's not a goal threat, and a strike force of Rooney and Heskey's not going to get us loads of goals. Rooney and Agbonlahor would provide passion, pace, and goals. Far more than Heskey would produce anyway.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thought Heskey done alright tonight
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
14.78%
The paper was reasonable (782)
55.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (309)
22.06%
It was TERRIBLE (103)
7.35%

Watched Threads