success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The last 5 months something serious has majorly affected my life/and both aspects of my health.
I’m afraid I will do poorly on the mocks I did because of this. Or even on my a level examinations. The teachers don’t know about it. And I don’t want to tell them everything. I’d rather be vague but get the message across. How could I tell the teacher who will be writing my references about kind of what’s going on because I’m worried she’ll write something without knowing the context.
Please answer. Thank you!
Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by success4life)
The last 5 months something serious has majorly affected my life/and both aspects of my health.
I’m afraid I will do poorly on the mocks I did because of this. Or even on my a level examinations. The teachers don’t know about it. And I don’t want to tell them everything. I’d rather be vague but get the message across. How could I tell the teacher who will be writing my references about kind of what’s going on because I’m worried she’ll write something without knowing the context.
Please answer. Thank you!
It'll be hard for your teacher to give universities the relevant information if she doesn't have that information to begin with, so ideally you'd want to tell her as much detail as possible. However, I completely understand why you might not want to - I'm in a similar situation where it would be very uncomfortable to tell everything, but I've had to give enough information that my teacher can write things in the reference knowing my vague situation and knowing that what I've said is reliable and not just an excuse.

Some unis also have forms you can submit if you believe you've had mitigating circumstances, but I don't know how that would work if you haven't actually done the exams yet and it's purely hypothetical if it will have an impact or not - the unis I'm applying to have told me about them knowing I'm a gap year applicant.

Is there a teacher you would trust to tell a bit more detail? They'd be more able to help you talk everything through and decide how much your referee needs to know. I know it will be rough, so good luck whatever you decide to do.
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
It'll be hard for your teacher to give universities the relevant information if she doesn't have that information to begin with, so ideally you'd want to tell her as much detail as possible. However, I completely understand why you might not want to - I'm in a similar situation where it would be very uncomfortable to tell everything, but I've had to give enough information that my teacher can write things in the reference knowing my vague situation and knowing that what I've said is reliable and not just an excuse.

Some unis also have forms you can submit if you believe you've had mitigating circumstances, but I don't know how that would work if you haven't actually done the exams yet and it's purely hypothetical if it will have an impact or not - the unis I'm applying to have told me about them knowing I'm a gap year applicant.

Is there a teacher you would trust to tell a bit more detail? They'd be more able to help you talk everything through and decide how much your referee needs to know. I know it will be rough, so good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thank you. I know what I need to do know. But this was the teacher who’s writing my reference for the subject I’m studying at uni.

I could do class test before so sent a email saying serious police implication. She called my dad asking what it was. When I don’t live with my mom or dad and I’ve tried to get them removed as a contact for years and they haven’t. Breaking my confidentiality.
Dad answered these phone and said I’ve lied and exaggerated as obviously he doesn’t know.
The teacher things in a fake now. When I’m not. In fact I’ve just got back from the hospital 20 mins about it and it’s still going on.
I’m unsure on how to tell her as they will call my dad again but this time about what actually happened and I can’t risk that
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)

What would you suggest x
Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by success4life)
What would you suggest x
Do you have a pastoral head at your school? It sounds like you've got a lot of stuff going on, and it's just happened to unfortunately come together at a point where you need clear information to be shared to give to your chosen universities. Who do you currently live with? They should be able to contact the school and arrange to get contacts changed, which seems like something you want done before you start providing evidence for current circumstances.

I'm really not an expert, and obviously don't know the specifics of your situation, but schools should have procedures for when students change living situations and guardians etc., so I really hope you can get things sorted. Feel free to message me if you just want to talk things through, but I can't help much more specifically that that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads