The Student Room Group

Leeds A101 2021 entry

Welcome to the Leeds A101 Gateway to Medicine 2021 entry discussion.

Leeds A101 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6203972

For general information click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/i900/gateway-year-to-medicine-mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/i900/gateway-year-to-medicine-mbchb#section3

Leeds A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6977811

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At the University Of Leeds for the above course do they accept applicants who retook year 12 as most foundation years for medicine take people who did a levels over 3 years.
Gateway courses are designed as 'widening participation' entry for those from low-performing schools, low socio-economic postcodes etc who also have predicted grades that are not high enough for immediate entry to a 4 year course.

They are NOT the same as a Foundation course. These courses are usually for those who have not taken the right subjects, or have low achieved grades, mature students, international students etc - whatever that Uni decides are the entry criteria.

In terms of retakes - IF you meet the criteria for the Leeds GW course, and this is 'school attended', you need to ensure you do those retakes at the same school. If you switch to a school/college that doesnt qualify, you wont be eligible. Check with the Uni to make sure about your circumstances - do not just assume you are eligible.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Gateway courses are designed as 'widening participation' entry for those from low-performing schools, low socio-economic postcodes etc who also have predicted grades that are not high enough for immediate entry to a 4 year course.

They are NOT the same as a Foundation course. These courses are usually for those who have not taken the right subjects, or have low achieved grades, mature students, international students etc - whatever that Uni decides are the entry criteria.

In terms of retakes - IF you meet the criteria for the Leeds GW course, and this is 'school attended', you need to ensure you do those retakes at the same school. If you switch to a school/college that doesnt qualify, you wont be eligible. Check with the Uni to make sure about your circumstances - do not just assume you are eligible.

This is the email i got in response if there's anyone else but I'd check with the uni first yourself
Thank you for your email.
Any applicant who is taking A2s beyond the usual 2 years will only be considered where there are extenuating circumstances to take into account. These circumstances will have to be verified in the referee’s statement on the UCAS form. Applicants should not send in any further information at that stage until approached to do so by the Medical School directly.

Yeah I've decided to go for dentistry in the end

If it takes more than 2 years to obtain A levels we would only consider an application with mitigating circumstances.

Details of your mitigating circumstances would need to be outlined in your reference as part of your application.
Good luck everyone reading this... what are the stats of getting interview and place?
Does anyone know when Leeds hands out their invites?
Guys how did y’all do on bmat?
Original post by unicorn10
Guys how did y’all do on bmat?

S1 3.5 S2 3.7 S3 2A(I had technical issues for the last question :frown:).
How about you?
Original post by Mckailer
S1 3.5 S2 3.7 S3 2A(I had technical issues for the last question :frown:).
How about you?

O my god. I did horrible :frown:
I got 4.1 4.6 3.0B snap I had technical issues for my writing one as well
(edited 3 years ago)
O my god. I did horrible :frown:

dw because its a foundation course they might be more lenient with the bmat scores especially with loads of people having issues taking the test!! what matters more is GCSE and A level results
Original post by sprinkles2001
dw because its a foundation course they might be more lenient with the bmat scores especially with loads of people having issues taking the test!! what matters more is GCSE and A level results

Thanks hopefully!!
Do we have to share it with leeds ?
not sure but I think so
Do we have to share it with leeds ?

when I looked on the list Leeds wasn't on it, it was only the foreign unis? plus when we registered we had to list the unis we were applying to so im assuming we don't
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sprinkles2001
when I looked on the list Leeds wasn't on it, it was only the foreign unis? plus when we registered we had to list the unis we were applying to so im assuming we don't

Ah alright...
Has anyone heard anything yet?
nope, I think they’re giving them out next week
Reply 18
Hi everyone, has anyone heard anything yet I’m a bit unsure if I’ll get an interview since I resat chem in autumn I hope it’s considered as a first sitting due to Covid but my bmat score was S1 4.0 S2 4.0 and 3B I mean I’m not disappointed cause I did three days revision that’s it but I feel like the gateway year is more competitive this year.
Just received an interview invite, anybody else?

Quick Reply

Latest