randomperson91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’ve been wanting to transfer courses from medicine to something else throughout first year. I came to the realisation that I do not want to be a doctor and I don’t have enough motivation/passion to finish the degree and then work the long and stressful hours that I would in a hospital. However, now I am stuck on what to transfer to. Right now I’m torn between maths and neuroscience. I did maths and further maths at a level and I really enjoyed it so I feel like I would enjoy studying maths at university level, the only problem is that now that I’ve taken a year break from it I’ve forgotten basically all of my maths knowledge so I’m worried that I would struggle if I were to transfer to the degree now. I’m also considering neuroscience as my twin studies it and I’ve looked through her lecture notes and uni material and the content seems really interesting. However, I’m worried that transferring to neuroscience would be a mistake as often it’s the other way around where people transfer from degrees like neuroscience to medicine. I’m also worried that it may have limited job prospects aside from research. Does anyone have any advice?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by randomperson91)
I’ve been wanting to transfer courses from medicine to something else throughout first year. I came to the realisation that I do not want to be a doctor and I don’t have enough motivation/passion to finish the degree and then work the long and stressful hours that I would in a hospital. However, now I am stuck on what to transfer to. Right now I’m torn between maths and neuroscience. I did maths and further maths at a level and I really enjoyed it so I feel like I would enjoy studying maths at university level, the only problem is that now that I’ve taken a year break from it I’ve forgotten basically all of my maths knowledge so I’m worried that I would struggle if I were to transfer to the degree now. I’m also considering neuroscience as my twin studies it and I’ve looked through her lecture notes and uni material and the content seems really interesting. However, I’m worried that transferring to neuroscience would be a mistake as often it’s the other way around where people transfer from degrees like neuroscience to medicine. I’m also worried that it may have limited job prospects aside from research. Does anyone have any advice?
Sounds like you want to do maths. Don't worry, you'll pick up the knowledge again - it isn't lost forever
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Neuroscience would be a more 'traditional' transfer and you might even be let into second year.

Maths - well i guess it depends on the uni as to how strict they'd be about that. I did maths and f.maths but I know I wouldn't have been good enough to do maths at my uni! Clearly, if you are let in you'd have to start at the beginning of first year.

Basically: talk to the uni ASAP as time is critical now.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Something to note is that maths at degree level is very different to maths at A-level. Much less learning methods and processes and applying it to solve problems, much more abstract and focused on writing proofs. I'd suggest looking at a textbook like Spivak's Calculus (or equivalently any introduction to analysis textbook; despite the name that is what the Spivak textbook is) to get more of an idea of how maths is done at degree level; a lot of it is about very carefully setting up the problem (bordering on pedantry) and then rigorously proving it from how it's been set up. If what you enjoyed in A-level Maths was more solving problems with calculus and algebra and trigonometry and suchlike, then a degree in physics or engineering might be more the kind of thing you're looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.11%
I'm not sure (8)
2.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (102)
34.23%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.34%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise