arthurpendragon1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Before any of you guys say, “Don’t hide who you really are!”, I would like to.

I don’t look gay (in that you wouldn’t look at me and think yeah he’s defo gay, I dress ‘straight’ if that’s a thing) nor do I particularly sound it. I have a deepish voice.

However, I need help with typical things straight guys do: mannerisms, interests, manly drinks (I’ve heard vodka is the go to gay drink, I thought it was a ‘straight’ drink but apparently not), how to act around guys?? I don’t have many guy friends at all, what is ‘off limits’??

Please help, I desperately just want male friends.
LegsEleven17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by arthurpendragon1)

I don’t look gay (in that you wouldn’t look at me and think yeah he’s defo gay, I dress ‘straight’ if that’s a thing) nor do I particularly sound it. I have a deepish voice.

However, I need help with typical things straight guys do: mannerisms, interests, manly drinks (I’ve heard vodka is the go to gay drink, I thought it was a ‘straight’ drink but apparently not), how to act around guys?? I don’t have many guy friends at all, what is ‘off limits’??

Even though I object to everything this post is about... join a rugby team
arthurpendragon1
Rep:
?
(Original post by LegsEleven17)
Even though I object to everything this post is about... join a rugby team
Why do you object? It’s my choice if I want to hide my sexuality. I was robbed of the chance to come out and I’m not hot on the whole “gay and proud” thing personally. I just see it as a tiny insignificant part of me.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was robbed of the chance to come out.
How did that come to be?
LegsEleven17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do you object? It’s my choice if I want to hide my sexuality. I was robbed of the chance to come out and I’m not hot on the whole “gay and proud” thing personally. I just see it as a tiny insignificant part of me.
Of course you’re allowed to keep it private. But it seems to me that you haven’t accepted yourself yet. You shouldn’t try and be someone you’re not. If you want vodka have it. Literally no one cares. Straight guys don’t go around thinking “I can’t do this because”.

If you can’t accept yourself. You won’t ever be truly happy.
Last edited by LegsEleven17; 4 weeks ago
arthurpendragon1
Rep:
?
(Original post by LegsEleven17)
Of course you’re allowed to keep it private. But it seems to me that you haven’t accepted yourself yet. You shouldn’t try and be someone you’re not. If you want vodka have it. Literally no one cares. Straight guys don’t go around thinking “I can’t do this because”.

If you can’t accept yourself. You won’t ever be truly happy.
No, I fully accept myself. Not conscious about it or anything, I would just like to be more masculine. Once I’ve made friends with guys I’ll then come out again yk
LegsEleven17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I fully accept myself. Not conscious about it or anything, I would just like to be more masculine. Once I’ve made friends with guys I’ll then come out again yk
Yeah I get that. I also aim to make more male friends. I don’t know why I find it so hard tho because I can make friends with girls just fine. And it’s not because I’m crushing on them or anything because I don’t even like most of them like that. If you figure out what the secret is then tell us! 😭
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think there are 'gay' drink and such, everyone ik who drinks, drinks vodka, cider, beer, rum and what not.
litstudent30
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mate... you can be gay and have male friends. That's not something you should worry about - and not all gay men act feminine either, so don't worry about it. Be yourself, please - vodka isn't for gays only, I think you're overthinking this and creating your own stereotypes.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago

Uni is the one place where you should be able to be yourself.
That said instead of the ridiculousness of trying to be something you arent, what I suggest is you tone down behaviour that identifies sexuality and just be neutral or private and then be friendly.

A straight guy who finds out you have been pretending to be straight will distrust you, not because you are gay, but because you have pretended to be something you are not.

Just dont make sexuality an issue and let them assume if needs be. Its fine not to be interested in girls or private and you can hide amongst that group.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All you will do is create a fake version of yourself drinking things you don't like, saying things you don't agree with and such. You can make male friends and not hide being gay, not all guys will feel uncomfortable.

What people really hate is fake people. Don't become one of them.
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
From this I assume you mean that you are worried that knowledge of you being gay will socially ostracize you from other men?
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
even though im a firm believer of being who you are and being proud of it, if you really want to act "straight" then go for rowdy night outs with straight men and join sport teams.
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you mean more masculine?
idk tbh, i'm a wlw girl and i act "straight" and most people think i'm straight and very girly. lmaoo, bet you couldn't even tell that i like girls. anyways, maybe dress more masculine, idek? idk how to explain. idk i'm a girl so i wouldn't know lmaoo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise