It is time for me to move out because I don’t get along with my family

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am nearly 26 and I just want to move out. I ain’t gonna get married so it is looking likely I am going to live a very lonely life cause I have no friends.

I want to move out because I don’t have a good relationship with my mum and dad. I spend all day in my room and quite frankly that is disgraceful at this age. I barely talk to my dad and he just insults me. My mum, despite her deteriorating muscle wasting condition, bullies me because she can’t understand my quiet nature.

I am thinking the right thing to do is for me to find a graduate scheme to start september 2021 and then move into a city with ‘said’ graduate job. I live in London and I am looking to move out of London.

Anyone in similar positions? What age did you move out of your parents house?
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
if you wanna move out, do it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vix.xvi)
if you wanna move out, do it
It’s so hard to move out from an african background. Your either moving out to get married or to move back to Africa, and neither of that I want to do!! ☹️
username5414076
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Your either moving out to get married or to move back to Africa,
Felt that.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PewNews)
Felt that.
Having similar thoughts too?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's probably a good thing to consider if your current living situation isn't healthy.

Are you working already/do you have savings or is this something you'll have to work towards? I'd obviously consider the financial implications first and work out how much roughly it'll cost you each month to rent and whatnot.

I first moved out when I was 19 and hadn't been back to my parents since.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 10 months ago
username5414076
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Having similar thoughts too?
Oh I'm not 18 yet but I did bring the topic up of moving out once I'm an adult and financially independent. Obvs I'd help my family out financially as well... but it didn't really go down to well lmao
Last edited by username5414076; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
It's probably a good thing to consider if your current living situation isn't healthy.

Are you working already/do you have savings or is this something you'll have to work towards? I'd obviously consider the financial implications first and work out how much roughly it'll cost you each month to rent and whatnot.
This is something I am working towards. I am praying that a graduate scheme will accept me hopefully next year and that’s when I will use it as an excuse to move out. I’m currently studying a masters but I am planning to save up money by finding a part time job hopefully

I have some savings but that is not enough right now to move out. I do blame myself, having a mental health condition in an african home is not the best and it is the reason why the relationships has just gotten worse. I would have thought, after I finished my undergraduate last year and moving back home that my ‘4 year absence’ would have brought me and my family but instead has made things far worse.

I’m rambling now but I am determined to move out but I’m sad it has to come to moving out the wrong way.
Anonymous #1
Wish I could put a poll

What age did you guys move out?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is something I am working towards. I am praying that a graduate scheme will accept me hopefully next year and that’s when I will use it as an excuse to move out. I’m currently studying a masters but I am planning to save up money by finding a part time job hopefully

I have some savings but that is not enough right now to move out. I do blame myself, having a mental health condition in an african home is not the best and it is the reason why the relationships has just gotten worse. I would have thought, after I finished my undergraduate last year and moving back home that my ‘4 year absence’ would have brought me and my family but instead has made things far worse.

I’m rambling now but I am determined to move out but I’m sad it has to come to moving out the wrong way.
Well, being in London you have the geographical advantage in that there will probably be plenty of grad schemes around that you can apply to.

I'm sure it's not necessarily your fault, obviously I don't know your whole situation but it sounds like you've been going through quite a tough time. Are you getting help with your mental health?

I'm sorry that things haven't been working out for you, though I suppose not all things end up going as we've planned them to. If you do decide to move out then I wish you the best of luck :hugs:
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
Hi. I understand that an African background doesn't help- it is very difficult in decision. However, the Human Rights work for everyone, and there should be a safe place to live for everyone. Not to say that your family is abusive, but I think you need a safer space. They should understand your quiet nature, everyone is different, and this is what makes the world unique. The graduate scheme is a good idea, and may be the first step for a brighter future.
Good luck!
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
I am nearly 26 and I just want to move out. I ain’t gonna get married so it is looking likely I am going to live a very lonely life cause I have no friends.

I want to move out because I don’t have a good relationship with my mum and dad. I spend all day in my room and quite frankly that is disgraceful at this age. I barely talk to my dad and he just insults me. My mum, despite her deteriorating muscle wasting condition, bullies me because she can’t understand my quiet nature.

I am thinking the right thing to do is for me to find a graduate scheme to start september 2021 and then move into a city with ‘said’ graduate job. I live in London and I am looking to move out of London.

17 😂 I got kicked out recently, and am about to turn 18. Good luck!
Anonymous #4
Report 6 months ago

I'm 25 and returned home last year after 4 years at uni and a year living abroad and I feel you. My dad is an alcoholic so it's not fun - I ignore him and spend most of my time in my room too. Just remember that it's not forever and try your best to save some money so you can move out.

I also live in London and although I'm working I can't afford to move out as rent etc is so expensive and I don't want to live in a house share. So I'm saving as much as I can to get to the point where I can move out. I think if you plan on moving out of London it'll be cheaper.

I've applied for graduate schemes too but they're very competitive; so good luck in your applications! We've got this!
LauraLoo94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want to move out then go for it.
I moved out at 16 due to problems with my family.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
17 😂 I got kicked out recently, and am about to turn 18. Good luck!
In this covid period? what did you do that made you to get kicked out
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by LauraLoo94)
If you want to move out then go for it.
I moved out at 16 due to problems with my family.
Why? what were the problems you had with family?

I want to move out but having no friends makes it harder to move out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads