The Student Room Group

Dyson Institute 2021 entry

is anyone applying this year or thinking of it?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm applying this week. Really nervous :/
Reply 2
Original post by Harry_cer
Hi, I'm applying this week. Really nervous :/

thats cool, how are you feeling about exams this year with COVID etc
I'm feeling quite nervous tbh. Trying to do well now in case we don't have the exams. Wbu?
Reply 4
I'm feeling quite nervous tbh. Trying to do well now in case we don't have the exams. Wbu?

I'm feeling the same - A lot of people that I know were screwed over from my sixth form last year, even after it went to centre assessed as my college hadn't done the upper sixth mocks yet. I wonder how many people Dyson took this year because a lot of my friends in the year above ended up missing their offers and while the lower grade universities were helpful and bending on grades, lots of the Russell group unis and other high grade places didn't reduce grades or hold offers. A lot of really clever people ended up just settling for low grade options and i feel sad for how that will affect their futures. Dyson is a pretty high-grade place so it makes you wonder if lots of people missed out? Do you reckon anyone is resitting their exams and re-applying this year?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm feeling the same - A lot of people that I know were screwed over from my sixth form last year, even after it went to centre assessed as my college hadn't done the upper sixth mocks yet. I wonder how many people Dyson took this year because a lot of my friends in the year above ended up missing their offers and while the lower grade universities were helpful and bending on grades, lots of the Russell group unis and other high grade places didn't reduce grades or hold offers. A lot of really clever people ended up just settling for low grade options and i feel sad for how that will affect their futures. Dyson is a pretty high-grade place so it makes you wonder if lots of people missed out? Do you reckon anyone is resitting their exams and re-applying this year?

I feel the same about mocks. Last year we didn't have any either and just feel as if my predicted grades are not like replicable of what I will get in a sense. I have been thinking about people last year not applying for Dyson and as a result Dyson letting more people in with lower grades? I really dont know in all honesty, seen dyson institute advertised a lot on engineering sites but not to sure. That's a good point because some poeple may apply this year and already have another year of revision to do better in their tests I guess? All too stressful lol
Reply 6
I feel the same about mocks. Last year we didn't have any either and just feel as if my predicted grades are not like replicable of what I will get in a sense. I have been thinking about people last year not applying for Dyson and as a result Dyson letting more people in with lower grades? I really dont know in all honesty, seen dyson institute advertised a lot on engineering sites but not to sure. That's a good point because some poeple may apply this year and already have another year of revision to do better in their tests I guess? All too stressful lol

Same I didn't have any proper mocks last years so I feel like my predicted grades would have been better if I had done End of Years :frown:
I think they mentioned like 40-50 people getting in a year
Yeah :/ it's all not right. Have you applied?
Reply 8
No I haven't applied yet unfortunately because I had tests before half term and turns out I have more tests after half term! I only take a couple subjects but why I need to have 2 tests per subject is beyond me but at least if there is a repeat of last year they will have enough data!
Aha yes good point. I've been having tests quite frequently as well, think like you said they are making up for the lack of tests we had last year lol. What are you taking?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and DT Product Design. I'm thinking of just foing FM till AS though. How about you?
I'm doing maths, phsyics and psychology aha, further maths seems really interesting from what I have heard. What year are you in, year 13?
Yeah I am in 13. We finished Maths last year basically so we concentrate on FM in Year 13. To be honest I am really enjoying it (which sounds kinda nerdy oh well) but I am struggling to manage 4 A-Levels and DT coursework and since most HE places talk about only 3 subjects, 4 seems unnecessary which is why I think it is best to just do FM AS
I've just applied, anyone got any tips for this online test?
Good luck! I am putting my application in this week so let me know how it goes!
Original post by junior2003
I've just applied, anyone got any tips for this online test?

Great to hear you're applying @junior2003!

If you are invited to the online assessment stage, we will also send out lots of useful information to help you prepare for these. This will include what to expect, plus some hints + tips. You can find out more about each stage of our application process on our website www.dysoninstitute.com/applying/application-process/

Good luck with your application!
Has anyone heard back from Dyson after the online tests yet?
No not yet I took the assessments in half term but have not heard anything back yet
Hey, Do you know what university they pair with for the degree by any chance?
heya I don't think they are paired with a university anymore as the Dyson Institute has it's own degree giving power now :smile: I think it's on the website
Before then I think it was Warwick though

Quick Reply

Latest