dazllar20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, first-time poster.

I am currently in year one of a BSc in computing and have been given a text book which is the core textbook for my databases module Fundamentals of Database Systems by Elmasri and have been told to read chapter one by next week. The issue is I just cannot get into the book, I find it a really difficult read and I'm wondering if it would be a really bad thing to try and find a different book on the subject to read and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I had been reading Head first programming before i started this year to prepare myself for this year and something along those writing style lines would be great for me.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by dazllar20; 3 weeks ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a general comment, you need to learn your subject, so if you can’t quite follow that book then I think it is valid to supplement it with anything else that can help you.

The most extreme version of this that I know is years ago when a student at the University of Dundee didn’t attend any lectures whatsoever, just spent three years in the library reading everything that he felt like. He attended for the final exams in his arts program, and scored a first. But, that’s probably not the best model to follow!

Fundamentals of database systems, as you need to acquire that core knowledge, instantly - find online resources to help you go through the chapter pages.

I found a Korean analysis of the book, chapter One here
http://kocw-n.xcache.kinxcdn.com/dat...wansup/1_1.pdf
http://kocw-n.xcache.kinxcdn.com/dat...wansup/6_1.pdf (chapter 7 here, for example)

Converting, some of, the Korean alphabet, to English - gives:-

Database overview and structure
– Relational database
– Query language (SQL)
– Data modeling (ER Diagram)

and conversion to relational model
– Database programming

at least using translate.google.com, is slightly more fun than simply reading a book
But even YouTube, with enough fine tuning, should give you the explanation of Structured Query systems versus Relational....
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dazllar20)
Hi all, first-time poster.

I am currently in year one of a BSc in computing and have been given a text book which is the core textbook for my databases module Fundamentals of Database Systems by Elmasri and have been told to read chapter one by next week. The issue is I just cannot get into the book, I find it a really difficult read and I'm wondering if it would be a really bad thing to try and find a different book on the subject to read and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I had been reading Head first programming before i started this year to prepare myself for this year and something along those writing style lines would be great for me.

Thanks in advance.
This is a tough one and it depends if the contents of the textbook define the course or if they're just recommended reading. Some of my modules at uni were based on textbook material, and if you followed through you'd have a much easier time. Others I had recommended reading textbooks but had my own books which were fine to use instead. Your best bet would be to explain the issue you're having to your tutor, and ask if it's absolutely required reading or if they can recommend alternatives. The important thing is to have the required knowledge, not how you get it.

I do somewhat disagree with the notion of "go read chapter 1 by next week though". I've always treated textbooks as reference material, rather than something you read end to end. Rather than reading the whole thing, I find it easier to reference the parts of the book I need, when I need them.
dazllar20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the advice, I will have a chat with my lecturer tomorrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (68)
14.81%
I'm not sure (16)
3.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.55%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.74%
I'm not a current university student (213)
46.41%

Watched Threads