Does the NHS do free nose jobs?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I fell on my nose as a child and it looks normal from the front but from the side it's a little bent and I hate my side profile. Would I be able to get a nose job on the NHS?
melmel2345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I fell on my nose as a child and it looks normal from the front but from the side it's a little bent and I hate my side profile. Would I be able to get a nose job on the NHS?
i have no clue i want to get mine done too, i’ve got the same problem as you
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it is causing breathing problems, then yes, you might qualify.
If its for purely cosmetic reasons, then no.
You're either gonna have to pay or learn to love it.
GoldenBit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it causes you to have depression, anxiety or other health issues then yes it is free however you need a doctor to diagnose these issues.
Anonymous #1
Uu

(Original post by melmel2345)
i have no clue i want to get mine done too, i’ve got the same problem as you
(Original post by Rarest)
If it is causing breathing problems, then yes, you might qualify.
If its for purely cosmetic reasons, then no.
You're either gonna have to pay or learn to love it.
(Original post by GoldenBit)
If it causes you to have depression, anxiety or other health issues then yes it is free however you need a doctor to diagnose these issues.

I can breathe normally and it looks fine from the front but my side profile is bent. I have no diagnosed mental health condition it just makes me feel self conscious and I hate it.
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uu

I can breathe normally and it looks fine from the front but my side profile is bent. I have no diagnosed mental health condition it just makes me feel self conscious and I hate it.
Unfortunately I think you will have to pay then if you want one.
If it's of any comfort, only you care so much about the nose, there is a pretty good chance no one else cares. My entire nose is off centre, so my front profile has a wonky nose, I thought everybody knew about it but you should have seen the surprise on people's face when I once actually brought it up - no one had noticed it before.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Learn to accept yourself.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it's reconstructive or there's otherwise a real medical need then yes, otherwise, no.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Have you spoken to your GP? It would be worth speaking to him/her for advice on your options.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cosmet...g-rhinoplasty/
Last edited by Kerzen; 3 weeks ago
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uu

Then it is cosmetic and not covered by the NHS. You'll be paying for it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Learn to accept yourself.
Easier said then done
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How old are you now? Are you at Uni?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
How old are you now? Are you at Uni?
19 and yes.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
19 and yes.
I'm just wondering whether it would help you to start saving a little bit each month, just a bit. All being well, you will get a decent job when you graduate and will be able to add more to your savings then. At that point, you will be able to arrange for private surgery.

I would still recommend that you speak to your GP about your worries about your nose. Ask your surgery about perhaps having a phone consultation.

For what it's worth, I would imagine that no-one ever notices anything about your nose, but I imagine that this isn't any consolation for you.

PS I have had work done on my nose which was funded by the NHS but it was a minor operation called a septoplasty.
Last edited by Kerzen; 3 weeks ago
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Easier said then done
Of course. But learning to accept yourself is an important life skill. Maybe counselling might help you. Anyway, to answer your question, purely cosmetic nose procedures aren't a thing on the NHS. As another poster has said, start saving up a little bit here and there.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have a similar issue with my nose and I didn’t even fall on it.

The only time they’d operate to change it like this , i believe? Is when it causes functional problems.

In a sense you could argue it depresses you and a sympathetic dr could carry the case forward for consideration of operating on.

But it’s not something I know has worked or anything, just an idea.

All the best, hope you’re able to learn to be okay with it bc truth be told — it might not be all that bad!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads