The Student Room Group

I want to know if this laptop is good or not ?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-14-2-in-1-laptop-intel-core-i3-256-gb-ssd-silver-10208065-pdt.html
Hello I was looking for laptops to buy and was wondering if this laptop is good or not for me to buy. I was planning on using the laptop for school work. The reason I am asking is because this laptop is a i3 processor type. It’s also says 4GB ram in it but in John Lewis it’s says 8GB ram.
This are the features the laptop has
- 256gb storage
- finger print reader and scanner
-2 in 1
- touch screen
- black lit keyboard
- it’s comes with a pen for the tablet mode for free
- kensington key lock
- and 3200 MPHz speed
I wondering if I should get it or not since it’s only a i3 processor laptop and I know they tend to be slower in programming and software.
Original post by katnix
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-14-2-in-1-laptop-intel-core-i3-256-gb-ssd-silver-10208065-pdt.html
Hello I was looking for laptops to buy and was wondering if this laptop is good or not for me to buy. I was planning on using the laptop for school work. The reason I am asking is because this laptop is a i3 processor type. It’s also says 4GB ram in it but in John Lewis it’s says 8GB ram.
This are the features the laptop has
- 256gb storage
- finger print reader and scanner
-2 in 1
- touch screen
- black lit keyboard
- it’s comes with a pen for the tablet mode for free
- kensington key lock
- and 3200 MPHz speed
I wondering if I should get it or not since it’s only a i3 processor laptop and I know they tend to be slower in programming and software.

Looks about right for a convertible laptop at this price point. If you don't need a touchscreen then I'd much rather get a standard laptop with quad core Ryzen 5 or Core i5 processor for the same amount of money.
As Gofre says, you're paying extra here for the 2 in 1 functionality. Spec wise, it's a bit rubbish for £550 and really a quad core i5/Ryzen 5 and 8GB of RAM would be better. I'd rather skip the 2 in 1 and just get a better spec regular laptop. Unfortunately 2 in 1 devices are oddly expensive right now, and getting a decent spec one will add another £100 or so. Up to you if that's worth it, but IMO you should prioritise getting a decent functional laptop first and 2 in 1 second.
Reply 3
Original post by AcseI
As Gofre says, you're paying extra here for the 2 in 1 functionality. Spec wise, it's a bit rubbish for £550 and really a quad core i5/Ryzen 5 and 8GB of RAM would be better. I'd rather skip the 2 in 1 and just get a better spec regular laptop. Unfortunately 2 in 1 devices are oddly expensive right now, and getting a decent spec one will add another £100 or so. Up to you if that's worth it, but IMO you should prioritise getting a decent functional laptop first and 2 in 1 second.

yeah, i got a ryzen 7 8gb 256ssd laptop from argos for £529 so as the guys above say, the laptop you have linked is a bit expensive for wht it is (you r essentially paying for the 2 in 1 feature)
Reply 4
If you beed it for programming then I would suggest get an i5. Its so much better and faster then i3. But if you only require it for browsing and making assignments then I guess it will be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by AcseI

I only suggested this laptop since it’s looked maybe decent but I was worried about the amount of RAM it had and also the processor type. I really would get a i5 processor laptop but I like laptops that can fold 360 and also is touchscreen. I been looking for laptops that around 500-700 in curry’s pc world but most of them have sold out. I looked at this laptop instead because it had all the features I was looking for but I was still worried about the RAM and the processor type. Do you know if you be able to upgrade a laptop or anything and how much that costs or if you know any websites that sell laptops i5 processor and above that are touchscreen and 2in 1 around the price of 500-700 pounds and have at least 8gbRAM
Original post by katnix
I only suggested this laptop since it’s looked maybe decent but I was worried about the amount of RAM it had and also the processor type. I really would get a i5 processor laptop but I like laptops that can fold 360 and also is touchscreen. I been looking for laptops that around 500-700 in curry’s pc world but most of them have sold out. I looked at this laptop instead because it had all the features I was looking for but I was still worried about the RAM and the processor type. Do you know if you be able to upgrade a laptop or anything and how much that costs or if you know any websites that sell laptops i5 processor and above that are touchscreen and 2in 1 around the price of 500-700 pounds and have at least 8gbRAM

The general rule of thumb is that the CPU cannot be upgraded in laptops, and RAM upgrades depend on if the RAM is soldered or not.

If you want the 2 in 1 functionality with decent specs, I'm afraid you'll be at the top end of your budget. This Dell Inspiron covers your requirements though and you can get student discount to at least bring the price down a little. I like Dell's for their build quality, but I'd wager other brands like Lenovo, HP and Acer will have similar laptops in stock. Just search directly on the manufacturer websites instead of through places like Currys. All in all though, I can't see you getting anything significantly cheaper or different going with another brand.

Quick Reply

Latest