The Student Room Group

Taking EPQ is useless

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachmilk
No, I disagree universities want to know what you do in your spare time. They don't want to know that you just study a lot, they want to see your personality.

That's hysterically wrong, why would a university care if I like tennis? They want to know if I can do the course. But obviously you can do EPQ and have other things in your life, it's only one qualification. I had it done by Spring year 12
Reply 41
Original post by gullyyt
😂 Why would you take an EPQ expecting it to get you a better grade in your core subjects? That doesn't make it useless- there's just no statistical link between doing an EPQ and getting good a-levels. You take it because you want to research something you're interested in and gain an insight into the skills that you'll be using in university.

You'd stand out based on the essay title you chose/ the process you went through? No two people are gonna have the same EPQ experience.

Yes, but you still haven't proved to me that EPQ is useful at all. Universities especially top unis don't want to know that you just study all the time, that wouldn't make you stand out.
Why would I come here saying EPQ is useless, without researching it? Also, your graph just proved my point. There's only a 1.8+ difference in score from normal A-level students. ''It's not statistically significant' just proved EPQ is useless according to Cambridge, top uni in the world.

Look at the data you've just quoted: it's about the prior performance of EPQ students and is showing that students with a broad range of abilities do one and nothing at all about the outcomes of people who have done one.

All my kids did one. 2 got lower offers from at least one university (Sheffield, Bath) for their A levels as long as they got at least a B, another took up a points based offer where the points from her A* at EPQ were helpful. All of them found it helpful in learning skills they'd need for university.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by historynerd47
That's hysterically wrong, why would a university care if I like tennis? They want to know if I can do the course. But obviously you can do EPQ and have other things in your life, it's only one qualification. I had it done by Spring year 12

They do care, believe me. It's very hard to get into university (especially top universities) if you haven't done anything outside of school or school-related.
Yes, but you still haven't proved to me that EPQ is useful at all. Universities especially top unis don't want to know that you just study all the time, that wouldn't make you stand out.

The EPQ is just ONE aspect of your UCAS application. You can use it however you please. Talk about it, or don't. No one cares. Ultimately, the EPQ is whatever you make of it. It may be useless for you, it may be an excellent opportunity for another. It only took up 622/4000 (15%) of my characters to talk about it on my personal statement. I talked about my extracurriculars too.
Reply 45
They do care, believe me. It's very hard to get into university (especially top universities) if you haven't done anything outside of school or school-related. Y

It depends, if you are looking at Cambridge and Oxford, they do not care if you happen to play tennis, they will only care if you do it at an *extremely* high level. Other RG unis are not as strict, but trust me, playing chess frequently doesn't appeal to them as much as a full on research project unless you happen to be a titled chess player. (example)

"It is mostly true. We do care about extracurricular activities related to the course you are applying to. But usually they do not carry too much weight. If it is unrelated, then we mostly do not care, unless you achieved a very high level."

This is from the Oxford website itself.
They do care, believe me. It's very hard to get into university (especially top universities) if you haven't done anything outside of school or school-related.

Why are you equating doing the EPQ and never doing anything else in your life? You can do both obviously. I'm at a russell group uni, and I know for a fact that an EPQ helped me get there and also helped me deal with the step up from a-level to degree.
I'm not saying do nothing else ever, but the EPQ is absolutely not useless.
(I work in admissions at a RG Uni)

Whilst we don’t include EPQ’s in our offers, they’re far from useless. Experience in researching & writing in a longer format, especially in a topic linked to the undergraduate course, can be very valuable.

The OP is also massively overstating the value of extracurriculars, (unless directly linked to the course of study), and is also repeating the myth of “needing to stand out”.
This hasn't been my experience, and some of the points made about university's attitudes towards the EPQ are just factually wrong - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332

I found the EPQ extremely valuable in research skills to go into my undergraduate course with a sound knowledge of how to go about sourcing material to use in essays and other assignments. With the reduced coursework components in the new A Level specifications this kind of experience is now only available in a limited range of A Level qualifications - hence the validity and usefulness of taking the EPQ in addition to A Level subjects.
Reply 49
Original post by Rarest
It depends, if you are looking at Cambridge and Oxford, they do not care if you happen to play tennis, they will only care if you do it at an *extremely* high level. Other RG unis are not as strict, but trust me, playing chess frequently doesn't appeal to them as much as a full on research project unless you happen to be a titled chess player. (example)

"It is mostly true. We do care about extracurricular activities related to the course you are applying to. But usually they do not carry too much weight. If it is unrelated, then we mostly do not care, unless you achieved a very high level."

This is from the Oxford website itself.

But think about it, why would you do a course that you haven't researched the past school, that just shows that you don't love your subject. What I mean is, for example, I'm applying for Maths, and I did some programs to do with maths outside of school. So if you obviously love a subject a lot, you would do research more into it so it does matter. Also, I know someone who applied for Engineering at Imperial, and they said that they love to programme and have done it for years so that helped them get in.
Original post by boulderingislife
State comp or grammar school? :pierre:

It doesn’t matter? I know people from comps who do EPQ, I know people from grammar schools who do EPQ. It literally doesn’t matter.
Reply 51
Original post by Admit-One
(I work in admissions at a RG Uni)

Whilst we don’t include EPQ’s in our offers, they’re far from useless. Experience in researching & writing in a longer format, especially in a topic linked to the undergraduate course, can be very valuable.

The OP is also massively overstating the value of extracurriculars, (unless directly linked to the course of study), and is also repeating the myth of “needing to stand out”.

Please call me by my username and it's not a myth to stand out. It's very important especially if you are applying for top universities because obviously, most applicants have high grades already in that chosen course. I know someone who got 3 A* in their A levels however they weren't accepted into a Russell Group university because they didn't prove that they truly love the subject since they didn't do any extracurriculars based on the subject. The interviewers are teachers who truly love the subject and can tell if the person doesn't like the subject.
Original post by Torigracex
It doesn’t matter? I know people from comps who do EPQ, I know people from grammar schools who do EPQ. It literally doesn’t matter.

It does matter hence I asked. So, do you go to a comp or grammar?
Reply 53
But think about it, why would you do a course that you haven't researched the past school, that just shows that you don't love your subject. What I mean is, for example, I'm applying for Maths, and I did some programs to do with maths outside of school. So if you obviously love a subject a lot, you would do research more into it so it does matter. Also, I know someone who applied for Engineering at Imperial, and they said that they love to programme and have done it for years so that helped them get in.

Yes, maths is one of the subjects where EPQ is not as helpful as it is in other subjects. Maths is one half of my degree, and for me STEP and BMO were enough as extracurriculars. The other half is comp sci, and like your friend, my years of programming helped me with that. I see where you are coming from with this, as its exactly why I didn't do an EQP - as I feel that I didn't need to. However, for others, it is a welcome boost to their application and it is something that universities do look favourably upon (lots of RG unis decrease their grades if you do EQP)

Also, unless you are very good at your said activity, it is not weighed as much as an EQP during their admission process. I could say that I love chemistry and love reading about it and going to events about it and while that is greatly appreciated, it won't be as appreciated as an A* in the A level it self. Similarly, 70% of CS applicants have been programming for 'years' so unless you make the finals of some informatics olympiad/other crazy thing, you don't really stand out either but having a well planned and established project with an 'A* in EPQ' to show for it on top of 'having programmed for years' will make you stand out if you don't have any other acheivements.

This is mainly STEM though, where I feel like even if your EPQ boosts your application during the admission (so not useless), you can get by without having done it and still be as competent as people who have.

In humanities however, it is a lot more useful as not only does it boost your chances of getting it, you learn valuable referencing (harvard referencing) and essay writing skills ahead of time.
Reply 54
Original post by Rarest
Yes, maths is one of the subjects where EPQ is not as helpful as it is in other subjects. Maths is one half of my degree, and for me STEP and BMO were enough as extracurriculars. The other half is comp sci, and like your friend, my years of programming helped me with that. I see where you are coming from with this, as its exactly why I didn't do an EQP - as I feel that I didn't need to. However, for others, it is a welcome boost to their application and it is something that universities do look favourably upon (lots of RG unis decrease their grades if you do EQP)

Also, unless you are very good at your said activity, it is not weighed as much as an EQP during their admission process. I could say that I love chemistry and love reading about it and going to events about it and while that is greatly appreciated, it won't be as appreciated as an A* in the A level it self. Similarly, 70% of CS applicants have been programming for 'years' so unless you make the finals of some informatics olympiad/other crazy thing, you don't really stand out either but having a well planned and established project with an 'A* in EPQ' to show for it on top of 'having programmed for years' will make you stand out if you don't have any other acheivements.

This is mainly STEM though, where I feel like even if your EPQ boosts your application during the admission (so not useless), you can get by without having done it and still be as competent as people who have.

In humanities however, it is a lot more useful as not only does it boost your chances of getting it, you learn valuable referencing (harvard referencing) and essay writing skills ahead of time.

Thank you for your reply. You are the only one in the thread who has proven that EPQ is not useless, but thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread.

If you can't see a value in it for your university application that's totally fine. But the answer to your question is fairly obvious: to try something new. Many degree subjects aren't taught at A Level - half of mine certainly wasn't.
I go to a state school and they allowed us to do EPQ. Something to do in a lockdown and I guess it is half an a level so you don't have to worry about competition at uni.
Original post by boulderingislife
It does matter hence I asked. So, do you go to a comp or grammar?

I went to a grammar, but as I said before, I have friends who went to comps who did EPQ and found it benefitted them (I think some found it benefitted them more than it did me actually). It’s very subjective whether EPQ is beneficial, but you blanket saying it’s useless in all cases is plain incorrect.
How? It's not even considered as a full A-level and most people from top unis don't take it.

I do 3 A Levels and an EPQ, it’s allowing me to apply to top Universities. Whilst it may not be helpful to you, for me it’s it’s incredibly helpful. I don’t judge your view at all on the EPQ. But for me, it has been really valuable to be able to apply to fantastic universities. :smile:
Original post by Torigracex
I went to a grammar, but as I said before, I have friends who went to comps who did EPQ and found it benefitted them (I think some found it benefitted them more than it did me actually). It’s very subjective whether EPQ is beneficial, but you blanket saying it’s useless in all cases is plain incorrect.

I didn’t do it so i can’t comment on it, but it does seem pretty pointless seeing as uni’s don’t accept it. If the choice is between it and a full 4th alevel, then surely people would be better off taking a 4th one?

Quick Reply

Latest