naomiSo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! so I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm not cut out for medicine and I dont have any sort of passion for it. I think I just chose medicine because I was good at science and the salary looked good lol, but if I am asked why I want to do medicine I cannot give any sort of answer. I lack the passion that will get me through the long hours and stressful work.

That being said, I have no idea what I want to do instead. I have had my mind set on medicine for about 4 years now with no other alternatives I could go for. I am now in year 12 and know I should be looking for work experience and reading about medicine, but I just dont want to, which is one of the reasons I have decided to not go for medicine anymore.
Some info ab me :
my gcses which I got this year, were 3 9s in the sciences, 2 8s, 3 7s, and a D*.
I am doing biology chemistry and psychology in sixth form which I started about 2 weeks ago and I'm enjoying all of them. I havent had any work experience or part time job, and I dont really have any specific interests.

So, I'm not asking for someone to just choose my degree for me, although that would be nice since I'm so indecisive haha, but I would love some advice on how to figure out what I might have "passion" for. All in all, I do like science and maths, so I wouldn't mind something in the STEM field, but I also enjoy being creative and sort of techy. I really liked computer science which I did until year 9, and I originally wanted to be an architect until I realised I was good at biology. In terms of what I dont like, I think I definitely wouldn't enjoy English lang or lit, humanities or just pure maths that would lead onto things like accounting or finance.

Also just adding on, I was considering doing psychology but I've heard about it having few job prospects and the field is very competitive. I also wouldn't be completely opposed to doing something like biochemistry or neuroscience, but I'm not really too sure how to get a good salary out of those degrees, I probably just have to do a bit more research.

Anyways, sorry for the enormous essay but I've just been thinking about my uncertainty non stop. I know I ultimately have time before I decide, but I would like to be able to prepare now so I have a good chance at going to uni after a levels, because I would rather not take a gap year unless I really cant decide by year 13. Thanks so much if you've read this far
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by naomiSo)
Hi! so I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm not cut out for medicine and I dont have any sort of passion for it. I think I just chose medicine because I was good at science and the salary looked good lol, but if I am asked why I want to do medicine I cannot give any sort of answer. I lack the passion that will get me through the long hours and stressful work.

That being said, I have no idea what I want to do instead. I have had my mind set on medicine for about 4 years now with no other alternatives I could go for. I am now in year 12 and know I should be looking for work experience and reading about medicine, but I just dont want to, which is one of the reasons I have decided to not go for medicine anymore.
Some info ab me :
my gcses which I got this year, were 3 9s in the sciences, 2 8s, 3 7s, and a D*.
I am doing biology chemistry and psychology in sixth form which I started about 2 weeks ago and I'm enjoying all of them. I havent had any work experience or part time job, and I dont really have any specific interests.

So, I'm not asking for someone to just choose my degree for me, although that would be nice since I'm so indecisive haha, but I would love some advice on how to figure out what I might have "passion" for. All in all, I do like science and maths, so I wouldn't mind something in the STEM field, but I also enjoy being creative and sort of techy. I really liked computer science which I did until year 9, and I originally wanted to be an architect until I realised I was good at biology. In terms of what I dont like, I think I definitely wouldn't enjoy English lang or lit, humanities or just pure maths that would lead onto things like accounting or finance.

Also just adding on, I was considering doing psychology but I've heard about it having few job prospects and the field is very competitive. I also wouldn't be completely opposed to doing something like biochemistry or neuroscience, but I'm not really too sure how to get a good salary out of those degrees, I probably just have to do a bit more research.

Anyways, sorry for the enormous essay but I've just been thinking about my uncertainty non stop. I know I ultimately have time before I decide, but I would like to be able to prepare now so I have a good chance at going to uni after a levels, because I would rather not take a gap year unless I really cant decide by year 13. Thanks so much if you've read this far
If you want something similar to Medicine without the long hours, have you looked at Physician Associate?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...cian-associate

Reading and UCLan offers it at undergrad level.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biomedical science?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Neuroscience : https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...uroscience-BSc
Cellular & Molecular Medicine : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/
Physiology ; https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...erapeutics-BSc
Health and Exercise Science : https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...rcise-science/
Pharmacology : https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...-pharmacology/
rac1977
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you tried www.prospects.ac.uk?

You can take their quiz which will help you to match your skills and personality to job profiles.
naomiSo
Rep:
?
thanks so much for the suggestions!
I'm going to look into each one and do a bit more research on diff fields. I have decided to not force myself to come to a decision just yet as it's just making me stress, but I want to have a decent idea by around the end of this year. Ill update if I ever make a decision haha
thanks again
naomiSo
Rep:
?
(Original post by rac1977)
Have you tried www.prospects.ac.uk?

You can take their quiz which will help you to match your skills and personality to job profiles.
I'm going to do that rn, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads