Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just posting to see if anyone has any advice. I'm 17 and I really feel like I have at least a mild form of ADD (possibly ADHD but I feel like ADD resonates more). I'm female so I know that symptoms differ, I've had the 'symptoms' all my life whilst at home, at school and with friends and I feel like getting a diagnosis could actually benefit me going into adult life and uni but I'm really reluctant to tell my parents - they're not the greatest and they are (kind of) the reason for a lot of my mental health issues including PTSD.
Does anyone know how I can get tested for ADD (just to at least get more support or to rule out the possibility) without paying (through NHS?) or something else?

Thanks in advance!

P.S I have been doing my own research, just asking here to see if anyone has some extra advice that they're willing to share.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just posting to see if anyone has any advice. I'm 17 and I really feel like I have at least a mild form of ADD (possibly ADHD but I feel like ADD resonates more). I'm female so I know that symptoms differ, I've had the 'symptoms' all my life whilst at home, at school and with friends and I feel like getting a diagnosis could actually benefit me going into adult life and uni but I'm really reluctant to tell my parents - they're not the greatest and they are (kind of) the reason for a lot of my mental health issues including PTSD.
Does anyone know how I can get tested for ADD (just to at least get more support or to rule out the possibility) without paying (through NHS?) or something else?

Thanks in advance!

P.S I have been doing my own research, just asking here to see if anyone has some extra advice that they're willing to share.
Technically speaking, ADD doesn't exist anymore and is a very outdated term. It's all considered ADHD. There are 3 types of ADHD - the 'hyper' type, the 'inattentive' type (formerly ADD) and a mix of both. The inattentive type relevant to what you mentioned is specifically referred to as ADHD-pi (even though it's all ADHD).

Onto testing. ADHD testing can be difficult to get. The reason is that literally everyone under the sun can be considered to have 'mild' symptoms of ADHD like day-dreaming or poor organisation. However, if your symptoms are extreme to the point that they're adversely affecting your life/studies/work/everything, then you'd have a higher chance of being tested.

Talking to your GP and school would be best options.

As an aside, ADHD can often result in hardships in all aspects of life which can, in turn, lead to other mental health problems like anxiety or depression. I think approximately 50% (?) of those diagnosed with ADHD found that it was comorbid with something else like anxiety, depression or OCD.

In any case, speak to your school and GP about any and all concerns. They (especially your GP) will be able to guide you best.
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.54%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.92%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.85%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.69%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.85%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.23%

Watched Threads