anyone doing business/marketing in uni of Southampton?

Watch
'_'
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
is anyone a student of university of Southampton? bonus if you're doing business/marketing.

if so, how has you experience been?

what do you think of Solent Vs Southampton?

accommodation Vs non accommodation?

student life?

employability?

student satisfaction?
thank u!
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by '_')
is anyone a student of university of Southampton? bonus if you're doing business/marketing.

if so, how has you experience been?

what do you think of Solent Vs Southampton?

accommodation Vs non accommodation?

student life?

employability?

student satisfaction?
thank u!
Hi '_',

I can see that you're looking for someone to give you advice about University of Southampton, however I thought it may be helpful if I gave you some advice from my perspective as a student at Solent.

I'm currently in my final year studying Public Relations and Communications Management, however units on my course regularly cross over with the different marketing courses on offer at Solent. In terms of student life generally in Southampton, I have really enjoyed living and studying here- I appreciate things are slightly different in the current circumstances, however for the two years I have been living here, I have found that there is lots to see and do, especially as Solent's campus is a very short walk away from the city centre.

During my first year I stayed in Solent Residences, which were great fun as you get to meet loads of other students and really get to experience student life and living away from home. A few of my friends did have different accommodation options- some lived at home and commuted in to uni each day and others lived in private halls. I would say that many students did choose to stay in University residences during the first year, in my experience. In my second year, I went into private halls accommodation as it was so close to the city centre, had lots of facilities such as a gym/cinema and there were lots of other students to meet from both universities and different year groups.

In terms of employment alongside studying, I have peers who have found jobs in the retail and hospitality sectors within the city, as well as jobs with the University on campus (roles such as student ambassador). If you mean employment post graduation, Solent offers a brilliant service, Solent Futures, which helps with careers advice throughout your time at University and after you graduate- you can find more information about this here, if you are interested. As an example within the PR/Marketing context, as part of our employability unit we had to source 2 weeks' work experience within the PR and Marketing field during our second year, and further work experience is encouraged during third year.

I know I cannot speak for every student at Solent, but in terms of student satisfaction, I have really enjoyed my time so far at Solent, and I have found lecturers to be very supportive. I have found the mixture of lectures and seminars really engaging, as there are different opportunities to work with different students within the group and individually (I appreciate this will vary between different courses and may be different at the moment due to the circumstances caused by Covid-19). It may also be worth noting that Solent has been awarded a Silver TEF award and was shortlisted as University of the Year during the last academic year. You can find out more information about student satisfaction and compare the student satisfaction of different courses at different universities at the National Student Survey (please find some information about student satisfaction here).

I hope this helps you in some way, sorry it is such a long message! I wish you the best of luck with your research, and for your future studies. Please do not hesitate to ask me anything, and I will be more than happy to help!

Best wishes,
Eloise
'_'
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Solent University, Southampton)
Hi '_',

I can see that you're looking for someone to give you advice about University of Southampton, however I thought it may be helpful if I gave you some advice from my perspective as a student at Solent.

I'm currently in my final year studying Public Relations and Communications Management, however units on my course regularly cross over with the different marketing courses on offer at Solent. In terms of student life generally in Southampton, I have really enjoyed living and studying here- I appreciate things are slightly different in the current circumstances, however for the two years I have been living here, I have found that there is lots to see and do, especially as Solent's campus is a very short walk away from the city centre.

During my first year I stayed in Solent Residences, which were great fun as you get to meet loads of other students and really get to experience student life and living away from home. A few of my friends did have different accommodation options- some lived at home and commuted in to uni each day and others lived in private halls. I would say that many students did choose to stay in University residences during the first year, in my experience. In my second year, I went into private halls accommodation as it was so close to the city centre, had lots of facilities such as a gym/cinema and there were lots of other students to meet from both universities and different year groups.

In terms of employment alongside studying, I have peers who have found jobs in the retail and hospitality sectors within the city, as well as jobs with the University on campus (roles such as student ambassador). If you mean employment post graduation, Solent offers a brilliant service, Solent Futures, which helps with careers advice throughout your time at University and after you graduate- you can find more information about this here, if you are interested. As an example within the PR/Marketing context, as part of our employability unit we had to source 2 weeks' work experience within the PR and Marketing field during our second year, and further work experience is encouraged during third year.

I know I cannot speak for every student at Solent, but in terms of student satisfaction, I have really enjoyed my time so far at Solent, and I have found lecturers to be very supportive. I have found the mixture of lectures and seminars really engaging, as there are different opportunities to work with different students within the group and individually (I appreciate this will vary between different courses and may be different at the moment due to the circumstances caused by Covid-19). It may also be worth noting that Solent has been awarded a Silver TEF award and was shortlisted as University of the Year during the last academic year. You can find out more information about student satisfaction and compare the student satisfaction of different courses at different universities at the National Student Survey (please find some information about student satisfaction here).

I hope this helps you in some way, sorry it is such a long message! I wish you the best of luck with your research, and for your future studies. Please do not hesitate to ask me anything, and I will be more than happy to help!

Best wishes,
Eloise
thank you so much for your really helpful response!

I am hoping to live in accommodation in university of Southampton if I get accepted. I'm thinking halls for first year and then private accommodation after. I have seen some great private accommodation in Southampton. does your university help you in anyway with regards to finding private accommodation?

I've been looking at The Student Housing company and they have great accommodation. however, looking at reviews on trustpilot, they're so bad. people are having issues with contracts and such.

if I may ask, what company is your accommodation with? is it good?
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by '_')
thank you so much for your really helpful response!

I am hoping to live in accommodation in university of Southampton if I get accepted. I'm thinking halls for first year and then private accommodation after. I have seen some great private accommodation in Southampton. does your university help you in anyway with regards to finding private accommodation?

I've been looking at The Student Housing company and they have great accommodation. however, looking at reviews on trustpilot, they're so bad. people are having issues with contracts and such.

if I may ask, what company is your accommodation with? is it good?
No problem at all, I'm happy to help!

As you are looking at the University of Southampton, I am not 100% sure how their accommodation system works in comparison to Solent. However, I do know that if you are looking for private accommodation (eg shared housing/flats), there is a website called SASSH, which is run between University of Southampton, Solent University and Southampton City Council. Using this website, you can search for all different properties, and there are some helpful articles about renting student houses.

With regards to private halls, when I was looking I just did lots of viewings to get a feel for different buildings (some accommodation companies do virtual viewings online)- so my best advice would be to go and have a look at a few different accommodation blocks across the city and see which one feels most suitable for you.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else!

Eloise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads