Megan H Evans
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have to write a 30-45 second speech to go to the entire school to get them to vote for me to be Head Girl. I want to be Deputy Head but we've been told to write them as if we want to be Head. Can someone give me any tips on this speech?

Good morning. My name is Megan Evans, and I would like to be Head Girl.
I know a lot of people in every year group feel that their voice is not heard, and I aim to change this by having more frequent meetings with the Form Captains and Student Voice. I believe that I will bring a level head to the Junior Leadership Team and will make it my responsibility to ensure that everyone gets a say in what they want to be improved or changed around the school. So, vote for me if you wish to have a voice in this school.
Thebigworld
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok sounds good
Explain your personality that would help you to be a good head girl e.g. helpful (idk you can do better than me)
RedNot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your speech sounds good but a little short for 30-45 seconds. I would try to appear more friendly, especially for the sake of people who don't know you. Maybe make a joke or go into more information about what you want to focus on. You want everyone to get a say: why? If you feel that everyone is being ignored, maybe you feel the current systems aren't working? What other ways could you improve the system you say is so problematic? What if you wanted to add something like a problems box, where students could report issues anonymously, meaning that they would have a voice without feeling uncomfortable about it?
Last edited by RedNot; 4 weeks ago
Megan H Evans
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedNot)
Your speech sounds good but a little short for 30-45 seconds. I would try to appear more friendly, especially for the sake of people who don't know you. Maybe make a joke or go into more information about what you want to focus on. You want everyone to get a say: why? If you feel that everyone is being ignored, maybe you feel the current systems aren't working? What other ways could you improve the system you say is so problematic? What if you wanted to add something like a problems box, where students could report issues anonymously, meaning that they would have a voice without feeling uncomfortable about it?
That problem box is actually a really good idea. I hadn't thought about that. Thank you
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is just a small thing, but what about saying 'I would like to be your head girl' at the beginning instead? Just sounds more engaging and fits with your theme of wanting people to have more of a say
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd repeat the 'vote for me for a voice in this school.' or similar at the beginning and the end. I agree it is your Head Girl.
Megan H Evans
Rep:
?
(Original post by historynerd47)
This is just a small thing, but what about saying 'I would like to be your head girl' at the beginning instead? Just sounds more engaging and fits with your theme of wanting people to have more of a say
OK thank you. I'll put that in there
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Megan H Evans)
I have to write a 30-45 second speech to go to the entire school to get them to vote for me to be Head Girl. I want to be Deputy Head but we've been told to write them as if we want to be Head. Can someone give me any tips on this speech?

Good morning. My name is Megan Evans, and I would like to be Head Girl.
I know a lot of people in every year group feel that their voice is not heard, and I aim to change this by having more frequent meetings with the Form Captains and Student Voice. I believe that I will bring a level head to the Junior Leadership Team and will make it my responsibility to ensure that everyone gets a say in what they want to be improved or changed around the school. So, vote for me if you wish to have a voice in this school.
Make it more specific about what you want to change. It’s quite cliche for a future head boy/head girl to say they want to change things around the school and give students a voice.
username5414076
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heyyyoo

I had to campaign once, in school and outside of school. When giving your speech and campaigning(if you are) make sure you have a catchphrase(it's cliché but holy Heck it actually works) you need to be proactive, visit classes(Idk if you can cause covid and all) you have to make sure that you stand out, look at what everyone else is doing and do something else.

Since in my year group I was "well known"(so year 9,10 and 11) I'd specifically aim at the younger side of the school more since they're the ones that know me the least.

And most important of all you need personality.

And while some may vote for you because they're your friend, or they found you funny, or they know you out of the other candidates, people will ask when you come up to them, "Why should I vote you?" it's also very important to be prepared for that and have an actual appeal.

Other than getting pupils' voices heard, are you aware of any issues/problems students are facing?

The older year groups had a problem with how there's not enough space for them when it's wet lunch/break so I'd got their votes by saying that I'd work with teachers etc to fix that

You get the gist lol
Megan H Evans
Rep:
?
Is this any better...
(Just for context, every year now has a home base so each year group bubble isn't mixing because if Covid)

Good morning. My name is Megan Evans and I would like to be your Head Girl.
How many of you feel like your voice is never heard? I'm sure a lot of you feel this way. I aim to change this by having more frequent meetings with the Form Captains and Student Voice and introducing a problem box in each of the home base areas for those students who don't feel comfortable speaking to others about their problems.
I believe that I will bring a level head and caring nature to the Junior Leadership Team and will make it my responsibility to ensure that everyone gets a say in what they want to be improved or changed around the school.
So, vote for me if you wish to have a voice in this school
RedNot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Megan H Evans)
Is this any better...
(Just for context, every year now has a home base so each year group bubble isn't mixing because if Covid)

Good morning. My name is Megan Evans and I would like to be your Head Girl.
How many of you feel like your voice is never heard? I'm sure a lot of you feel this way. I aim to change this by having more frequent meetings with the Form Captains and Student Voice and introducing a problem box in each of the home base areas for those students who don't feel comfortable speaking to others about their problems.
I believe that I will bring a level head and caring nature to the Junior Leadership Team and will make it my responsibility to ensure that everyone gets a say in what they want to be improved or changed around the school.
So, vote for me if you wish to have a voice in this school
Sounds great but I would make one improvement, approach the speech in a more personal and confident way. Instead of 'everyone' say ' you all'. Change 'I believe' to 'I know', sound more certain and confident. Change 'would like' to 'want', again with the confidence and assertiveness. 'I aim to change this' to 'I will fix this'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.21%
I'm not sure (59)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed