How to Eat More Wholegrains - Healthy Eating Week!

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
28th September - 4th October is Healthy Eating Week, and here at TSR we want to encourage healthier lifestyles. To start the week off, we're talking about how you can introduce more wholegrains into your diet.

Wholegrains are a type of food made of the whole of the grain, instead of being refined. Foods include wholemeal bread, brown rice and brown pasta instead of white bread etc. They're full of fibre and important vitamins to keep us healthy. However, not many of us regularly include these in our diets. :no: They sometimes don't taste as nice as the refined version, and we are very used to having sweet foods. Here's what you can do to up your wholegrain intake!

1. Swap some "white" foods to the "brown" versions. If you have a slice of white toast for breakfast, try swapping it to brown toast. If you aren't keen on the flavour difference, go half way first. You can buy 50/50 bread, which is half white and half brown. Once you're used to this, make the full swap to wholemeal bread.

2. Don't buy the non-wholegrain versions of foods. When you do your food shop, if you only buy the wholegrain foods then you'll have no choice but to eat them. I do this quite often as it helps reduce the temptation to eat those unhealthy foods! :yep:

3. Make it a family competition! Get everyone involved in changing their diet, and use this printable wholegrain tracker. Who can eat the most wholegrains this week? Maybe there should be a prize up for grabs too! :king1:

Maybe you don't really eat many grainy foods, so the above tips may not be super relevant to you.:dontknow: Why not try a few of these recipes instead? Delicious, healthy, wholegrain meals not only are good for you, but they taste pretty good too! :drool:

Greek-style chicken pittas (by Diabetes UK). Serves 2.
Spoiler:
Show

Ingredients:
  • 250g chicken breast, sliced into strips
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Juice half lemon
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Good grind black pepper
  • 50g cucumber, finely diced
  • 60g 0% fat Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
  • 10 fresh mint leaves, torn
  • 80g salad leaves
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 wholemeal pittas

Method:
1. Mix the chicken strips, oregano, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper together and set aside to infuse for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the cucumber and yogurt. Add tomatoes and mint together and mix with the salad leaves.

3. Heat the oil in a small pan, add the chicken and mix well to ensure even cooking – it should take around 4 minutes.

4. Warm the pitta bread in a dry frying pan or toaster and cut in half and open to create pockets. Fill with salad and chicken, squeeze with lemon juice from the wedges and drizzle with the yogurt and cucumber mix.

Spaghetti with salmon and spinach. By the World Cancer Research Fund. Serves 2.
Spoiler:
Show

Ingredients:
  • 2 fillets of salmon, fresh or frozen (about 110g per fillet)
  • 150g dried wholemeal spaghetti
  • 100g fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 3 sprigs fresh dill, chopped, or 1– 2 teaspoons dried dill
  • ½ lemon, juice and zest
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 160g spinach, fresh or thawed from frozen

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C, place the salmon on a large piece of tin foil, add a tablespoon of water and wrap in a loose parcel. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes (this may take longer if you are using frozen fillets).

2. While the salmon is in the oven, cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, remove from the heat, drain the water and set aside in the covered pan.

3. Spoon the Greek yogurt into a mixing bowl, then stir in the dill, lemon juice and zest and black pepper.

4. When the salmon is cooked, place the fillets onto a plate and shred using a fork. Be sure to discard any bones or skin. Add the shredded salmon to the yogurt mixture and combine.

5. Stir the salmon and yogurt mixture and the spinach through the spaghetti. Then return to the hob, on a low heat for 2–3 minutes, until warmed through. Remove from the heat and serve.

There are LOADS more healthy recipes out there that contain fibre-rich wholegrains. If you're planning on having any bread, pasta or rice this week, think twice and see if you can swap it to the wholegrain variety. If you make this simple change to your lifestyle, you'll be greatly helping your body out.

Do you have any tips for eating more wholegrains?

Check out the hub thread for some more healthy eating content.
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 3 weeks ago
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
PRSOM

I much prefer wholemeal bread and wholegrain pasta/rice. I find white bread, pasta, and rice can make me feel bloated and more sluggish.

Love the recipe ideas :love:
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
PRSOM

I much prefer wholemeal bread and wholegrain pasta/rice. I find white bread, pasta, and rice can make me feel bloated and more sluggish.

Love the recipe ideas :love:
I used to hate them as a kid! I've switched to wholemeal bread now but it's a gradual process with the rice/pasta, the change in texture is taking a bit of getting used to
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I used to hate them as a kid! I've switched to wholemeal bread now but it's a gradual process with the rice/pasta, the change in texture is taking a bit of getting used to
Ah I was brought up having wholegrain/wholemeal as a child, so I think that's why now if I have white alternatives it makes me feel bleugh
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I like the look of the salmon recipe :drool:

Have to say I am awful at eating wholegrains - I don't like either the texture or the taste... :erm: I will need to switch very, very slowly and try 50-50 bread first I think! Doesn't help that I've been eating nothing but delicious sweet Challah bread for the past week, either
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
I like the look of the salmon recipe :drool:

Have to say I am awful at eating wholegrains - I don't like either the texture or the taste... :erm: I will need to switch very, very slowly and try 50-50 bread first I think! Doesn't help that I've been eating nothing but delicious sweet Challah bread for the past week, either

I love salmon! Just had salmon for dinner :yum:

Just had to Google what Challah bread is but it looks so yummy :love: do you tend to eat it with anything in particular? I assume it can't be made with wholemeal?
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
I love salmon! Just had salmon for dinner :yum:

Just had to Google what Challah bread is but it looks so yummy :love: do you tend to eat it with anything in particular? I assume it can't be made with wholemeal?
Yum! :eating:

Hahaha it is really yummy! You basically just use it like extra nice normal bread, but for Rosh Hashanah last week (Jewish New Year) you have it with honey to symbolise a sweet New Year (personally I like golden syrup too ) Pretty sure you can make it with wholemeal but it wouldn't be the same :no: Maybe I shouldn't say that in a pro-wholemeal thread though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.84%
I'm not sure (14)
3.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (130)
33.85%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (177)
46.09%

Watched Threads