The Student Room Group

Family not taking symptoms seriously

My brother was off school on Friday as he hadn’t been feeling very well. He had a sore throat and runny nose - which I know aren’t symptoms of Covid but my dad is vulnerable so naturally I was a little worried. My cousin recently tested positive and his only symptom was a sore throat, not to mention, many people at my brother’s school have tested positive. My brother started having coughing fits in his room later that night which eased off the next day. I told him to wear a mask and stay away from my dad but he didn’t listen, and my dad didn’t care. My sister is now poorly (no Covid symptoms as of yet) and she also won’t wear a mask/distance herself from my dad. I share a room with her and am very worried about contracting the virus (if she has it) so I’ve been wearing a mask. I am so upset and annoyed at how everyone has completely dismissed how I feel. I’ve spent the last 6 months consumed with anxiety about giving my dad the virus yet not even my dad himself gives a ****. Am I right to be annoyed?

I suggested
Original post by Anonymous
My brother was off school on Friday as he hadn’t been feeling very well. He had a sore throat and runny nose - which I know aren’t symptoms of Covid but my dad is vulnerable so naturally I was a little worried. My cousin recently tested positive and his only symptom was a sore throat, not to mention, many people at my brother’s school have tested positive. My brother started having coughing fits in his room later that night which eased off the next day. I told him to wear a mask and stay away from my dad but he didn’t listen, and my dad didn’t care. My sister is now poorly (no Covid symptoms as of yet) and she also won’t wear a mask/distance herself from my dad. I share a room with her and am very worried about contracting the virus (if she has it) so I’ve been wearing a mask. I am so upset and annoyed at how everyone has completely dismissed how I feel. I’ve spent the last 6 months consumed with anxiety about giving my dad the virus yet not even my dad himself gives a ****. Am I right to be annoyed?

I suggested

No offence. Your family live dangerously.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
No offence. Your family live dangerously.

None taken. Just told my dad to keep his distance from me and he laughed.
Reply 3
Tell him that they may do as they please but you do not want them putting you at risk so to please keep their distance.
It does seem a bit of a stretch to social distant with members of your own household, though. It'd be very hard if not impossible.
At the end of the day, your dad is an adult and if he choses not to distance from your siblings when they are unwell, that is his choice and all you can do is accept it. Obviously, coronavirus can have many symptoms and you can't tell whether someone has it based on symptoms alone, however there are lots of cold going around right now as well and hopefully that is what your siblings have. If it makes you feel safer, wear a mask, wash your hands and try to keep social distancing if you can.
Reply 5
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Tell him that they may do as they please but you do not want them putting you at risk so to please keep their distance.
It does seem a bit of a stretch to social distant with members of your own household, though. It'd be very hard if not impossible.

By social distance I just meant to stop using my dad’s bathroom (we have 3) and avoid going into my dad’s room for no reason. However they haven’t listened. I’ll take your advice tho so thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
At the end of the day, your dad is an adult and if he choses not to distance from your siblings when they are unwell, that is his choice and all you can do is accept it. Obviously, coronavirus can have many symptoms and you can't tell whether someone has it based on symptoms alone, however there are lots of cold going around right now as well and hopefully that is what your siblings have. If it makes you feel safer, wear a mask, wash your hands and try to keep social distancing if you can.

Thanks for your advice. It’s just hard because I’ve already lost my mum and don’t want to loose my dad too. I’m just going to wear my mask, distance myself, and let them be.
Update?
This happened in my family, now my dad who is extremely high risk has the virus
Reply 8
Original post by Imsosad123
Update?
This happened in my family, now my dad who is extremely high risk has the virus

My brother didn't have the virus luckily so we're all fine. I'm so sorry to hear that, I pray for his recovery.
Original post by Anonymous
My brother didn't have the virus luckily so we're all fine. I'm so sorry to hear that, I pray for his recovery.

Oh ok that’s great to hear!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending