Maths as a mature student- really need some advice

Watch
Kent68368
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey,

My name is john, 29, and my aim is to get back to university next year. In 2009 I recieved AABB in maths physics human biology and chemistry respectively. I attended durham university and studied physics where I averaged around 50% in my first year but ended up dropping out in second year due to health reasons.

I ended up doing a long stay in hospital recently (3 years) where I was studying maths with the OU (averaged around 90% in the two modules I completed).

I just wondered with all this what caliber of universities I would be looking at to study mathematics? I would love to go to a brick uni again which is why I am no longer continuing with the OU.

Thanks in advance for any help.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kent68368)
Hey,

My name is john, 29, and my aim is to get back to university next year. In 2009 I recieved AABB in maths physics human biology and chemistry respectively. I attended durham university and studied physics where I averaged around 50% in my first year but ended up dropping out in second year due to health reasons.

I ended up doing a long stay in hospital recently (3 years) where I was studying maths with the OU (averaged around 90% in the two modules I completed).

I just wondered with all this what caliber of universities I would be looking at to study mathematics? I would love to go to a brick uni again which is why I am no longer continuing with the OU.

Thanks in advance for any help.
It would have been helpful if you had done further maths.
You are a non standard entry, therefore it is entirely down to the unis as to what to make of your qualifications.
I think you can make enquiries to AAA unis, but add a few higher and lower in to find out the feedback.
You will just have to get busy on the phone or emails.

My main concern is that you dont have endless student finance and how much SFE will fund you going forward?
You will have to ask sfe how much finance you have used and then consider making compelling personal reason claims to be awarded additional finance.

At the min you have used 3 years worth, which makes your funding from degree+1 to degree-2, meaning they will only fund you from Y3 onwards.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi

Bit confused - how recent were the OU modules you did and which ones were they (first year modules?)
Kent68368
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
It would have been helpful if you had done further maths.
You are a non standard entry, therefore it is entirely down to the unis as to what to make of your qualifications.
I think you can make enquiries to AAA unis, but add a few higher and lower in to find out the feedback.
You will just have to get busy on the phone or emails.

My main concern is that you dont have endless student finance and how much SFE will fund you going forward?
You will have to ask sfe how much finance you have used and then consider making compelling personal reason claims to be awarded additional finance.

At the min you have used 3 years worth, which makes your funding from degree+1 to degree-2, meaning they will only fund you from Y3 onwards.
Hi Tigger,

Thanks for your speedy response. I called SF recently and was told I'd be eligible for 3 years SF due to my personal circumstances. I will call them again in the morning to double check.

To be honest I really want to go to UCL or back to Durham but I'm not sure my grades are high enough. If I remember correctly I averaged over 90% in my maths A level so would have gotten an A* if they were possible that year. I am a little confused as to how my AABB compares to the A* system now in place.

I've also been looking at liverpool Manchester and Edinburgh uni. I guess I will have to make some phone calls tomorrow morning.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Tigger,

Thanks for your speedy response. I called SF recently and was told I'd be eligible for 3 years SF due to my personal circumstances. I will call them again in the morning to double check.

To be honest I really want to go to UCL or back to Durham but I'm not sure my grades are high enough. If I remember correctly I averaged over 90% in my maths A level so would have gotten an A* if they were possible that year. I am a little confused as to how my AABB compares to the A* system now in place.

I've also been looking at liverpool Manchester and Edinburgh uni. I guess I will have to make some phone calls tomorrow morning.
It is a non standard application so its really up to the uni. I feel you would benefit greatly from an A* FM.
Kent68368
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Hi

Bit confused - how recent were the OU modules you did and which ones were they (first year modules?)
Yes they were first year modules. Statistics and essential mathematics
Kent68368
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
It is a non standard application so its really up to the uni. I feel you would benefit greatly from an A* FM.
Yeah noted. If an A* in FM means I would have a greater chance at UCL or Durham I would definitely be open to doing that
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah noted. If an A* in FM means I would have a greater chance at UCL or Durham I would definitely be open to doing that
If you look at entrance requirements, then for Maths it is a pre req, except for candidates where it was not taught.
It would appear health wise you have quite a history/ journey so always best to put that across.
I assume your 50% at Durham, was you trying to persevere.

You need to talk to them and start sounding out where you might fall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads