fascinatedatom
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, so I am an external candidate for only one a level subject. Whilst I am doing this a level through NEC - a platform with tutors that mark your work etc, I am sitting this exam at my college. I got my predicted grade not too long ago and a reference.

It's an A, but I had extenuating circumstances which meant delays in handing in work, not as accurate etc etc. I got a 9 in GCSEs, and so I was wondering whether I have to submit the A to UCAS? If someone else can provide me with a reference, then will I have to use this grade?

I will predict myself an A*. It wouldn't work if I were to use the NEC reference but not the predicted grade right? I am very confused on how this is meant to work, so I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fascinatedatom)
Hi, so I am an external candidate for only one a level subject. Whilst I am doing this a level through NEC - a platform with tutors that mark your work etc, I am sitting this exam at my college. I got my predicted grade not too long ago and a reference.

It's an A, but I had extenuating circumstances which meant delays in handing in work, not as accurate etc etc. I got a 9 in GCSEs, and so I was wondering whether I have to submit the A to UCAS? If someone else can provide me with a reference, then will I have to use this grade?

I will predict myself an A*. It wouldn't work if I were to use the NEC reference but not the predicted grade right? I am very confused on how this is meant to work, so I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!
Your predicted grades are listed by your referee, so you can't used the NEC reference but not their predicted grade.

A reference that's by someone else who doesn't know you in an academic context will hold less value.

Unis know predicted grades aren't an exact science, so I'd say just apply with the NEC reference and the A. If your application is otherwise strong, this shouldn't be an issue. Your extenuating circumstances should be described in your reference though.
fascinatedatom
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, thank you for your reply and suggestion. The only reason why I am so gutted about it not being an A* is because if I dont get into uni, thats literally it for me. Going to uni is escaping my abusive household so I wanted to try and maximise my chances of getting into UCL which is my 1st choice. If the reference has been written by a private tutor that has tutored me, it would be okay?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads