Should I stop talking to him?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Going to try and make this as short and sweet as possible so I don't end up rambling..

I'm about to go into my 2nd year of university and halfway through first year I became friends with and quite close to a guy in one of my classes. I haven't seen him since March since our university closed down and everything went online but we've talked nearly every day since then for multiple hours. The conversations are nice but there's just one thing I've started to notice and it's beginning to bug me - 90% of the time it's just him talking about himself and me asking him questions like it's some sort of interview. For example, I'll ask him what he's been up to and or how he's been coping with this whole isolation thing but he'll rarely ask me in return.

I didn't really mind (or really notice) how much he was like this until recently. One thing that really bothered was when we got one of our exam results back and I did really badly on something that I thought went well and I was pretty devastated. I told him about it and how upset I was and all he said was ''oh that's bad'' and then started talking about his results. He did well so I congratulated him and that was it...the conversation ended.

Am I just being really petty/self-centred for this to bother me that much? I'm not expecting the entire conversation to be about me (nor would I want it to) but I wouldn't mind a little ''how about you?'' here and there. I just don't understand as he starts our conversations 70% of the time so I'm guessing he does want to talk to me and he's not just being dry to end the conversation asap.
SabrinaM_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No you definitely have a point here. It takes two people’s effort to have a conversation, so the fact that it’s just you asking and getting nothing in return is a red flag. Do you like him in a romantic way or just as friends ? If it’s in a romantic way I’d say just let him go, cos you’ll eventually find someone who’ll be just as interested in you as you are in them, if not more.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Going to try and make this as short and sweet as possible so I don't end up rambling..

I'm about to go into my 2nd year of university and halfway through first year I became friends with and quite close to a guy in one of my classes. I haven't seen him since March since our university closed down and everything went online but we've talked nearly every day since then for multiple hours. The conversations are nice but there's just one thing I've started to notice and it's beginning to bug me - 90% of the time it's just him talking about himself and me asking him questions like it's some sort of interview. For example, I'll ask him what he's been up to and or how he's been coping with this whole isolation thing but he'll rarely ask me in return.

I didn't really mind (or really notice) how much he was like this until recently. One thing that really bothered was when we got one of our exam results back and I did really badly on something that I thought went well and I was pretty devastated. I told him about it and how upset I was and all he said was ''oh that's bad'' and then started talking about his results. He did well so I congratulated him and that was it...the conversation ended.

Am I just being really petty/self-centred for this to bother me that much? I'm not expecting the entire conversation to be about me (nor would I want it to) but I wouldn't mind a little ''how about you?'' here and there. I just don't understand as he starts our conversations 70% of the time so I'm guessing he does want to talk to me and he's not just being dry to end the conversation asap.
It is good you’ve noticed this.

text reflects how and what we think.

its what we would say if we could.

I say take it as it is.

he’s self centred about what he speaks about.

if he’s this translates into behaviour too? It’s a really big red flag.

I say, try to finish the interest and move away to a circle of friends instead. This isn’t relationship worthy material. Not imo. Not that kind of behaviour. (The part where he ignored how you felt about the exam you thought you did well in).

All the best,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads