Hoc123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am debating between applying to Loughborough university for sports science and going to UCL for sports and exercise medical sciences. Can anyone give me advice to which is the better course in terms of future careers in particular and employability.
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Hoc123)
I am debating between applying to Loughborough university for sports science and going to UCL for sports and exercise medical sciences. Can anyone give me advice to which is the better course in terms of future careers in particular and employability.
Hi Hoc123,

I am excited to hear you are considering applying to Loughborough University for Sport and Exercise Science! Our programme gives you the opportunity to have a placement year or a year abroad which can be a great opportunity to gain work experience and enhance your employability! There are high levels of employment for our graduates across a range of sport, exercise, health and well-being and traditional graduate jobs. Sports organisations employing Loughborough graduates include: Adidas, Reebok, Nike, British Swimming and British Triathlon! You can find out more on our programme page

We also offer an award-winning Careers Network team, here to help and support you, offering everything from CV workshops, one-to-one advice sessions and mock interview practice sessions to high-profile employer events. You can arrange to meet with one our of our team who can provide guidance on whatever career you would like to pursue.

We’ve got everything you need for a really successful future! Hope this all helps, of you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Ella
Mkb24764
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess it depends whether the medical side is of interest, basically. SEMS seems to be only available at UCL, KCL and Exeter so is more niche.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hoc123)
I'd say what I always say on these questions-the course itself, or the university you go to will have little impact on your future career prospects. Its largely down to you and what experience you can gain above and beyond your degree (e.g. summer internships in relevant work in sports science, competing in a sport at BUCS etc). Look at the course modules and their descriptions, which of those courses stands out to you more as something you would enjoy?
Mkb24764
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
I'd say what I always say on these questions-the course itself, or the university you go to will have little impact on your future career prospects. Its largely down to you and what experience you can gain above and beyond your degree (e.g. summer internships in relevant work in sports science, competing in a sport at BUCS etc). Look at the course modules and their descriptions, which of those courses stands out to you more as something you would enjoy?
Some unis have more prestige than others and having been to one could open more doors, that's the reality.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mkb24764)
Some unis have more prestige than others and having been to one could open more doors, that's the reality.
I'm about to start a PhD at a top 10 uk university, having done 2 degrees previously at top 20 universities-most of the other PhD students in my department did their degrees at much lower ranking universities, but still got in because they had tonnes of useful, relevant experience.

Anyone choosing someone based purely (or largely) on where they did their degree is likely going to miss out on a lot of very qualified, maybe even more qualified and experienced people, and in my experience, most people realise this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things โ€“ I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads