Should I apply to Trinity? (and some other finance questions)

Watch
vyper47
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Greetings,

I'm an overseas applicant for PhysNatSci this year. Deadline is close, and now I'm panicking on college choice and financial stuffs.

Trinity is the first college that comes into my head, and I found out it has the largest assets per student. Well, I'm going to apply for Cambridge trust bursaries, and college-specific ones, too.

Since Trinity has so much funding, do I have a possibility of getting a better bursary there?

And before that, the obvious. How selective is Trinity? I heard people say applying to "new" colleges slightly increases your chances. How true is this? I wouldn't say my overall academic profile is too bad (A*A*A* predicted, did national level research projects etc)

Overseas rates are really high, sadly. My family can provide like 80% of the total attendance cost. Can't even take out govt. loans for the status. I really don't know what's going to happen

Does Cambridge make/alter offer decisions based on financial ability? There's a box in the COPA that asks for the source and amount of funding - what is this for then? I'm really scared.

Thanks in advance!
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay so first thing is that your fee status won't affect your chance of getting an offer. They're only going to look at that once you've been made an offer, to make sure they're charging you correctly.

Then, after January they'll ask about financial concerns and can put you forward for various Cambridge and college bursaries and scholarships. These are more often to cover partial costs, not everything, but it would be fair to say trinity has a big deal more money than other colleges. Other colleges will have varying scholarships available, they're often listed on their own college website. Some will be general, others specifically for a subject or country.

I don't think there's any harm in applying there, but you do need to bear in mind you could be pooled and thus receive an offer from a completely different college (over which you don't get a say). But in any case, you don't need to worry about the financial aspect til you get an offer.
vyper47
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Okay so first thing is that your fee status won't affect your chance of getting an offer. They're only going to look at that once you've been made an offer, to make sure they're charging you correctly.

Then, after January they'll ask about financial concerns and can put you forward for various Cambridge and college bursaries and scholarships. These are more often to cover partial costs, not everything, but it would be fair to say trinity has a big deal more money than other colleges. Other colleges will have varying scholarships available, they're often listed on their own college website. Some will be general, others specifically for a subject or country.

I don't think there's any harm in applying there, but you do need to bear in mind you could be pooled and thus receive an offer from a completely different college (over which you don't get a say). But in any case, you don't need to worry about the financial aspect til you get an offer.
A relief to hear! Thanks!

But why do they ask for funding source and amount at this moment? It's in the COPA (overseas students need to fill this along with the usual SAQ)

If I get pooled, I'd of course have to make different decisions. I'm mentally prepared for that
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vyper47)
A relief to hear! Thanks!

But why do they ask for funding source and amount at this moment? It's in the COPA (overseas students need to fill this along with the usual SAQ)

If I get pooled, I'd of course have to make different decisions. I'm mentally prepared for that
I guess so make sure that students are aware of the costs entailed? And so that when they do make you an offer the letter/email has the correct information about fees and funding for you.

And for medicine, there is the fact that the number of overseas status students they can accept is limited by the government.
vyper47
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
I guess so make sure that students are aware of the costs entailed? And so that when they do make you an offer the letter/email has the correct information about fees and funding for you.

And for medicine, there is the fact that the number of overseas status students they can accept is limited by the government.
Nice! Thank you once again. There doesn't seem to be a limit for NatSci, so I'm safe
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Greetings,

I'm an overseas applicant for PhysNatSci this year. Deadline is close, and now I'm panicking on college choice and financial stuffs.

Trinity is the first college that comes into my head, and I found out it has the largest assets per student. Well, I'm going to apply for Cambridge trust bursaries, and college-specific ones, too.

Since Trinity has so much funding, do I have a possibility of getting a better bursary there?

And before that, the obvious. How selective is Trinity? I heard people say applying to "new" colleges slightly increases your chances. How true is this? I wouldn't say my overall academic profile is too bad (A*A*A* predicted, did national level research projects etc)

Overseas rates are really high, sadly. My family can provide like 80% of the total attendance cost. Can't even take out govt. loans for the status. I really don't know what's going to happen

Does Cambridge make/alter offer decisions based on financial ability? There's a box in the COPA that asks for the source and amount of funding - what is this for then? I'm really scared.

Thanks in advance!
Although Trinity has the highest asset value per student, John's is the college ranked 1st in terms of the amount of money it spends on its undergraduates (per student).

But regardless since it is so important I really recommend you go through all potential colleges websites and prospectus and see what they offer in terms of bursaries and scholarships. There will be differences. If it is unclear or you are unsure, email the college admissions and ask about what is available. None of this will have any impact on your actual application - asking for clarification or information is never a bad thing.

Likewise you should definitely enquire that your country's government or student representative scheme (e.g. in the UK it would be Student Finance Wales / England) - and see whether or not the costs can be covered on that side.

Financial considerations aren't going to be factored into whether or not you get an offer, but might well be factored in if the college in question has a limited amount of funding it can provide. This doesn't mean you'll get rejected, but it might mean you can't be offered a bursary if some kind of internal quota or limit is reached.
vyper47
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by R T)
Although Trinity has the highest asset value per student, John's is the college ranked 1st in terms of the amount of money it spends on its undergraduates (per student).

But regardless since it is so important I really recommend you go through all potential colleges websites and prospectus and see what they offer in terms of bursaries and scholarships. There will be differences. If it is unclear or you are unsure, email the college admissions and ask about what is available. None of this will have any impact on your actual application - asking for clarification or information is never a bad thing.

Likewise you should definitely enquire that your country's government or student representative scheme (e.g. in the UK it would be Student Finance Wales / England) - and see whether or not the costs can be covered on that side.

Financial considerations aren't going to be factored into whether or not you get an offer, but might well be factored in if the college in question has a limited amount of funding it can provide. This doesn't mean you'll get rejected, but it might mean you can't be offered a bursary if some kind of internal quota or limit is reached.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the so many different awards/bursaries are mostly for home/EU students. A few are there for overseas. Trinity seems to have more bursaries for overseas

So you say, getting an offer is solely based on merit, but financial conditions would only affect getting a bursary later on, if limit is reached? I just want to make sure nothing other than academics/interview affects my offer - I'm safe in that way, right?
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the so many different awards/bursaries are mostly for home/EU students. A few are there for overseas. Trinity seems to have more bursaries for overseas

So you say, getting an offer is solely based on merit, but financial conditions would only affect getting a bursary later on, if limit is reached? I just want to make sure nothing other than academics/interview affects my offer - I'm safe in that way, right?
Offers/ rejections are always very strictly only about academics. What each college decides about how to distribute financial aid if its oversubscribed is down to that individual college - but I suspect it will also follow some kind of meritocracy where the most impressive students get put to the top of the list. How this works between subjects I have no idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (105)
13.43%
I'm not sure (35)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.82%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.85%

Watched Threads